Wellness > Health

4 Group Exercises On The Rise In 2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

If you are looking for a break from your typical treadmill, elliptical and stair climber routine, check out these awesome classes that seem to be popping up everywhere! 

Photo by Pana Vasquez on Unsplash

Barre

You *might* be making the mistake of associating barre classes with ballet, and this may make you a little timid. Don’t be! You don’t need any dance experience to try this class out.

Barre classes start out with a mat warmup focusing on targeting the arms and core. Once the warmup is complete its time to hit the barre. The workout engages your lower body by using the barre, soft exercise balls and yoga blocks. Your body gets a complete workout from this class.

Most studios offer basic barre classes and some even offer spin-offs like “barre pulse” or “barre rush.” If you have time to spare, sign up for a barre class at a local barre studio or gym! Most studios will offer you your first class *free* or at a discounted price so TRY IT OUT!

Pound

You will see the phrase “Rockout.Workout” when a gym or studio is advertising this class. So, what is it?

Well, it’s a cardio class that incorporates drum sticks. How you could possibly get a work out from drumming? Simple, through the use of the ripstix along with exercises like squats, core contractions and other pilates-inspired moves. This workout incorporates cardio, strength and conditioning. Your whole body will feel it! 

Pound classes give you the opportunity to drum out your anger while jamming to upbeat music while simultaneously burning crazy calories.

Yoga

Photo by Marion Michele on Unsplash

Yoga has been around for a while, but recently it has been making a comeback with its many variations.

If you are the type of person who wants to mix cardio with yoga, buti yoga is for you. If you’re looking to become more zen, then vinyasa yoga is the way to go. If you want to turn the heat up, hot yoga is your perfect fit.

Spin/Cycle

Like yoga, spin classes have been around for a while.

Every day people are falling in love with the mix of high-intensity interval training (HIIT) and upbeat music that makes spin class so popular. This class is full of energy and gives you a great workout.

Warning! Many gyms or cycle studios have a limited number of bikes so, if you want to try out this class, make sure to reserve your bike ASAP! 

I'm Natalie Prisco and I am a Senior at the University of Rhode Island majoring in Kinesiology on the Physical Therapy track. I am one of the Campus-Correspondents at URI. In my free time you can catch me going to the gym, hanging out with friends or binge watching Netflix.