stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

3 Reasons Why You Should Be Eating Breakfast

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

I get it. You’re busy! After all, you’re a college student. Between late nights cramming and early morning classes the idea of ‘breakfast’ seems like a thing of the past. You know what they say, “breakfast is the most important meal of the day!”  Well, I’m here to tell ya, whoever said that is right. I’m not saying you need to stuff yourself with eggs at 7am. I’m not even saying you need to have eggs for breakfast.  I’m just saying, when you start your day off right, everything feels better!

Here are 3 reasons why you should make time and eat a healthy breakfast:

1. It gets your metabolism going. – Think about your body as a car.  You wouldn’t drive your car without gas, so why would you let your body ‘run-on-empty’?  Filling your rumbly tummy with some nourishing grub in the AM is a sure-fire way to boost your metabolism so that you’re energized and ready to take on the day!

2. It promotes healthy eating. – This is so true for me.  I remember a commercial I once saw for a healthy granola bar. During the ad they explained how, “One healthy decision leads to the next.”  Isn’t that so true!  The more I eat ‘healthy’, the more I WANT to eat healthy.  When I start my day with a bowl warm toasty oats topped with some fruit and organic almond butter, by lunch time I’m ready for a healthy, balanced meal.

3. It prevents late night snacking. – This may not make all that much sense… but it sure is true.  When you start your day off with a balanced breakfast, follow through with a healthy lunch and dinner, and allow for some nourishing snacks/ treats, you’ll find that your desire to snack on junk food late at night is gone… or at least, greatly reduced. This is because your body is fueled up from ‘day-time’ eating.  Your BODY can use and burn those healthy calories throughout the day and your MIND knows that you’re doing the right thing!

I don’t know about you… but these are reasons enough for me to make time to enjoy a healthy breakfast everyday.  If I’m in too much of a rush to sit down to a real meal, that’s okay!  I grab something easy (but healthy) and eat it when I get to class. I make sure to eat a healthy, balanced breakfast everyday so that I can feel my best!

Stick around for Part II of my healthy breakfast to see some of my favorite easy, on-the-go breakfasts! 

I love all things health and nutrition! I blog @ http://hellohealthyeating.com :) I'm gluten, dairy and soy free... but I seek a holistic, balanced lifestyle!
Sabrina is a senior at URI studying public relations. She is originally from MA but has found a home in the Ocean State. A peer mentor, sister of Kappa Delta sorority, and HC Campus Correspondent at URI, she loves being involved on campus. If she could describe herself in a few words, she would say she's a driven individual with a huge heart who's obsessed with all things fashion, music, and adventurous.