3 Hobbies You Can Pick Up When You’re Bored

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Last semester I was bombarded with work. I barely had time to myself and when I did, I normally would just sleep. This semester I have so much more spare time, mainly because I switched my major from a science to a liberal art. I have had more free time to pick up new hobbies and continue old ones. If you are someone who has time but doesn’t know what to do with it, here are some hobbies that I recommend!

1. Learn Guitar

I was given my first guitar as a Christmas gift when I was in fifth grade. I picked it up, played it a little and and didn’t touch it again until my freshman year of high school. Since freshman year I haven’t stopped playing once, even during a busy semester. Playing guitar has taught me a lot of lessons, especially the lesson of patience. How good I am now is not how good I was when I first picked it up. It takes a lot of practice and determination to be proficient in guitar. I recommend it to anyone because you could buy a decent starter guitar for a hundred dollars. You also learn beats which comes in handy when you’re dancing. 

2. Paint

Painting is a hobby that anyone can pick up. Art is a flexible and never-ending form of creation that doesn’t require any certain kind of person. I usually paint when I’m under a lot of stress. I just mix random colors that go well together on a canvas. You can purchase a cheap acrylic paint set and canvases for around thirty bucks. If you don’t paint every single day it should last you a few good months! Watercolor painting is another form of painting that is fun and pretty easy!

3. Read

I have been on a reading kick lately. You can escape the world around you to a world that is entirely chosen by you. You can bring books with you to the library to read between studying or on car rides. Books are very versatile in the way that they are accessible via the internet and libraries. Books are also a fairly cheap option, especially because you can buy used ones on Amazon for a fraction of the original price. 

Brooke Conneally is a sophomore at the University of Rhode Island, majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Communications. She spends most of her time playing guitar while singing, pinning projects on Pinterest, cuddling with her cats, and organizing her room.