19 Millennial Phrases to Teach Your Mom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Here are 19 phrases that every millennial should teach their mom:

1. Salty

When someone is bitter about something. Cassie is salty that Mollie did better than her on the exam.

2. Lit

Having a good or more than good time. The party last night was lit.

3. Bae

Used to describe something or someone that you love. Often refers to a significant other. Stacy’s mom is Tom’s bae.

4. Blessed

Feeling of being thankful for something or someone. Professor extends a deadline and you are blessed because of it.

5. On Fleek

When a person, feature, or object is perfect. Her eyebrows were on fleek.

6. The struggle is real

When you have a lot of things to do but don’t want to do any of them. I don’t have any clean clothes but don’t want to do laundry, the struggle is real.

7. Basic

Describes a person who participates in the current trends. If you drink a pumpkin spiced latte from Starbucks, you are basic.

8. Shook

You don’t know what just hit you. You get surprising/unexpected news. The couple breaking up has me shook.

9. Sus

Slang for suspicious because millennials are too lazy to say suspicious. The Uber driver was sus.

10. TBH

Stands for To Be Honest. People use it when they are trying to express opinions. TBH I really don’t like your outfit.

11. Thirsty

Used to describe a person who does things for attention. She posted so many selfies because she is thirsty for likes.

12. Throwing shade

A way to dis a friend in a casual way. She’s been throwing shade at me because we lost our Snapchat streak.

13. Woke

Being aware of things that are happening. We should be focusing on ending world hunger and not worrying if Dunkin Donuts has your favorite donut in stock. Stay woke.

14. Dead

If something makes you laugh out loud to the point you can’t laugh anymore. That joke has me dead.

15. Adulting

Refers to doing simple tasks like going to work, the bank, signing important documents or grocery shopping. I went to the bank and grocery store today #adulting.

16. Extra

When someone does something dramatic or acts over the top. Her paper should only have been two pages but it ended up being 10 . She’s extra.

17. Lowkey

To be very quiet by hanging low or under the radar. Could also mean just having a few people over instead of throwing a big party. Our game night was very lowkey.

18. Woes

A group of friends that stick together thru everything. “I was running through the 6 with my woes.” -Drake

19. # out of 10 would recommend

Essentially a rating of something or someone. 10/10 being the highest rank and 1/10 being the lowest. The movie was so good. 10 out of 10 would recommend to a friend.

I'm Natalie Prisco and I am a Senior at the University of Rhode Island majoring in Kinesiology on the Physical Therapy track. I am one of the Campus-Correspondents at URI. In my free time you can catch me going to the gym, hanging out with friends or binge watching Netflix.