15 Ways to Avoid the Freshmen 15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

It’s no secret that most college students fear the Freshman 15. You think that walking from class to class will pay off and you won’t gain weight. You think that one apple you ate in the dining hall two weeks ago will count as eating enough fruit for a month. You think that you are fearless and those parties every weekend won’t catch up to you. You think going to the gym that one time the first week of the semester will pay off. Notice a pattern? You think all these things until you go to the doctors and the nurse gives you that look. The look that everyone fears. You leave the doctor’s office panicked because you thought you were invincible. Before any of this happens, take a step back, here are 15 ways to avoid that panic attack:

Photo by Jake Melara on Unsplash

1. Balance is key. It is okay to have a cookie or two but you should also have an apple or some fruit salad. You may be craving pizza (which is fine because who doesn’t love pizza) but you could have some carrots on the side or salad.

2. Watch your portion sizes. If your mom was serving you would she give you one scoop or two of mashed potatoes? If you are completely unsure about correct portion sizes, seek help. Make an appointment with your university’s nutritionist or turn to Google (myplate.gov)Photo by Hermes Rivera on Unsplash

3. Take the stairs. You may be tired and the elevator is right there, but taking the stairs can burn around 20 calories depending on how many stairs you climb.

4. Skip the late-night snack and eat breakfast. After all, breakfast is the most important part of the day.

5. Drink water.  When your stomach growls, it doesn’t always want food. Sometimes all you need is water. Drinking water brings about positive things for your body such as hydrating, fulfilling hunger without adding calories and even keeping your face from breaking out.Photo by Ethan Sykes on Unsplash

6. Chew gum. If you have a jammed pack schedule, chewing gum can help satisfy the need/want for food until you have time to have a snack.

7. Be mindful with snacks. Choose snacks that will keep you fuller longer. Examples include carrots and hummus or almonds/peanuts/pistachios.

8. Ditch the coffee. College students love coffee. Dunkin’ Donuts and Starbucks love taking college student’s money. Coffee may give you energy, but it will also cause that sugar crash. Putting sugar, cream or any flavor shot also adds to the calorie count. Instead choose an iced tea, water or any low-calorie beverage.

9. Alcohol and Abs? It is fine to go out and party. Just remember that alcohol has calories in it. With alcohol comes those late-night cravings (i.e. calzones or any fast food) that eventually add up. To avoid this hit the gym and watch what you eat the rest of the time.

10. Stock the Fridge. When you go to the dining hall, grab a banana, orange or apple. Stock up on yogurts or any healthy snacks that you would typically have at home.

11. Avoid stress-eating. It happens. Deadlines are closing in on you. Every professor decides to schedule exams for the same day or week. Every person stress-eats. Incorporate things that will keep your mind off of food such as chewing gum, having a mint or drinking water.

12. Eat at regular times and do not skip meals.  You are free now. You don’t have someone telling you when to eat. You are also an adult which means you are responsible for creating your own schedule. Put down the book or pause Netflix and go have a meal. Your brain needs food to function.

13. Join an intramural sports team.  Do you like playing basketball but don’t want to play on the college level? Most campuses have intramural sports that are low-commitment but still keep you active once or twice a week.

14. Hit the gym.  “I’m not a gym person”, “The gym scares me” cut the excuses. Get your butt to the gym. It isn’t as scary as you think. If you don’t like working out on machines or lifting weights then sign up for a yoga, Zumba or even a spin class.Photo by Ricardo Estefânio on Unsplash

15. Buddy-system. Going to the gym alone can be boring sometimes. You may lose motivation. Find a friend who will go with you to the gym. You don’t necessarily have to work out right next to them the whole time, but it will give you the reassurance that you aren’t alone.

I'm Natalie Prisco and I am a Senior at the University of Rhode Island majoring in Kinesiology on the Physical Therapy track. I am one of the Campus-Correspondents at URI. In my free time you can catch me going to the gym, hanging out with friends or binge watching Netflix. 
Hannah is the President and Co-Campus Correspondent of URI's chapter of Her Campus. She will graduate from the University of Rhode Island in 2019 with a BA in Communication Studies and a double minor in Business and Writing/Rhetoric. Hannah grew up in York, Maine and followed her love for the ocean to Rhode Island for her undergraduate degree. You can usually find her at the beach with SPF 75 in hand or trying to master a new yoga pose. Check out her Instagram (hannah.k.will) to keep up!