Why marrying George Clooney isn’t Amal Alamuddin greatest accomplishment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

So it is official! George Clooney got hitched to Amal Amaluddin, the most envied woman on the planet right now, among other things. Their marriage took place in Venice, at a private ceremony with a selective guest list. What does she has that made Hollywood’s eternal bachelor leave his sleeping around days behind him and gladly settle down?

She obviously is an attractive woman, but not in the often thought way. Loads of gorgeous hair, enviable olive skin and huge brown eyes are just some attributes that make her stand out in a crowd.  It looks like the sexy ex-bachelor finally understood that there is nothing more attractive in life than a REAL woman.  Her beauty is just an extra feature, it’s not the basis, nor the essence of her value. She is an A list lawyer with specialties on human rights, international law and criminal law. She studied at Oxford and NYU, speaks three languages and was the defense lawyer of Julian Assange, the founder of Wikileaks.

So how did she hitch the man who swore would never marry? She played the hard to get card. Rumor has it she rejected George a couple of dinner dates before finally saying yes. Looks like our golden boy had to work a bit harder than usual to get the one. Should their 17 year age gap be an issue? Not at all. At 36, she is still young, yet mature enough to deal with an older man. It is more than understandable that such an accomplished woman as herself values stability and maturity more than a six pack.

This union sets an important precedent for women everywhere. It reminds us that we don’t have to sit and wait over an eligible bachelor to pick us, because we have equal right and power to be the ones to choose and brag about our ‘catch’. Women should aspire to no less than a George Clooney screaming to the world “I am such a lucky man! I can’t wait to be your husband.”  Woman like Amal and Emma Watson help us feel empowered. They inspire us to embrace self-love above everything else, to focus on our dreams and goals and work hard to make them happen, so we can be successful by our own terms. This marriage is the victory of brains and substance over beauty, the proof that a man, who is truly in love, commits, and leaves whatever he has to leave behind to be with the woman he loves, no excuses attached. He had nothing to offer her that she did not already have. She got married for the sole existing right reason for marriage: love.

A woman who knows how much is worth never kills for a man, instead she makes the man kill for her. In this fairy tale, he is the one that got lucky, that got found, by a true queen who chose him to rule her kingdom along with her. This love story reminds us that it is ok to be committed to your career and not a man. When the time is right, you will sweep something off, an amazing person who will be the cherry on top of your sweet life sundae, rather than the ice cream. You are the ice cream, you should always be; no man will ever be good for you to stop being the protagonist of your own life story.  Power couples are the new happily ever after, were both men and women have equal impact on their relationship as well as in every other aspect of their lives. It is okay to be picky, and not to settle for less than what you deserve. Moments like this, are exactly what Emma Watson meant at her amazing “He for She” UN speech. This is the true love story every ambitious, confident woman should aspire for. Long live to the happy couple. Thanks for the lesson Amal, for letting every collegiette to look up to you, instead of a Disney princess. 

Former Chief Editor and Campus Correspondent at the Her Campus UPRM chapter of the University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez. Writing in NYC, living the dream.