Valeria Ortiz: Part 3 of the Women Entrepreneur Series

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Valeria Ortiz is just a normal Colegial with distinct hobbies and passions that set her apart from the rest. After reading extensively on topics such as natural medicine, plants, and animals, the frequent beach-attendee transformed what were once mere hobbies into what has marked her as an entrepreneur. Admittedly, Ortiz began developing her business during the times of the UPR’s 72-day strike when she began to feel the need to make ends meet.

However, it was through her research/hobby reading that she found out the harsh chemical effects of commercially-produced hygiene and beauty products. She recalled how she “always wanted to create [her] own products,” and so, she began crafting her own toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo and exfoliants “naturally and by using aromatic plants.” And so her business, “Moriviví,” was born. Moriviví sells handmade soaps and exfoliants made with local products and plants grown in Ortiz’s own garden. However, if you have a special need or allergy, you can contact her and she can make the bath product tailored to your needs.

What may have started as a way to make ends meet, Ortiz reveals how she actually became passionate about working with aromatic and medicinal plants. She seeks out each one for its beneficial purposes on the human body, skin, or hair. Moriviví started as a small campaign amongst her friends and family. It has grown into Facebook and Instagram pages, as well as her own website where she exhibits her current products, future releases, and detailed effects of each product and ingredient. Throughout all this, Ortiz has achieved various entrepreneurial goals such as shipping her crafts around Puerto Rico as well as the United States, all while juggling the tedious collegiette stress. The achievement of these goals is the definition of success for Ortiz: “My objectives are always in improving the quality of my products and hearing the comments of my clients in regards to the positive changes in their skin. It’s important to me that we know and understand what the earth gifts us through these plants, from aesthetic and cosmetic purposes, to its cleaning and pain relief properties, its function as an insect repellent and natural perfume, and its ability to purify the air.”

Moriviví at Arte en la Placita the 31st of August.

Furthermore, apart from her passion for nature, Ortiz expands on her inspiration: “All the small business owners are my inspiration…seeing them move forward with their own motivations motivate me.” These inspirations and passions are Ortiz’s art, and due to her belief that art can make societal changes, she always squeezes in art classes in her curriculum. She continues by saying that “art isn’t perfect; art is the creative action.” This has thus transformed a simple entrepreneur like Valeria Ortiz into a natural artist as well. By being on these two “platforms,” Ortiz points to the best part of it all being the exchange or trueque, as is commonly said in Puerto Rico. “Knowing other artisans and exchanging art with art is a pretty thing. Sharing and appreciating other people’s art is needed to motivate each other and to motivate the rest of the people that want to start up but don’t dare to.”

A couple of Morivivi’s products. To see more, visit her Facebook page where she posts her latest deals and specials!

By working alone and being her own boss, Ortiz has learned and grown as a person, because while it is truly spectacular, you’re confronted with situations where you are forced to lose and at the same time, grow as a businesswoman. This continued exposure of “your own money, values and personal beliefs” is stressful, but worthwhile.

Ortiz began Moriviví by daring herself to do what she truly wanted to do. This same action and personal dare is what Ortiz advises others to do: “If you want to and can do it, do it. Being able to leave a message and create change using art, engineering, agriculture and any other medium to change the world, any person’s world and even your own world is worth it. It won’t be easy, it won’t be simple, but it’s possible and it will be satisfying.”

Author of "Partida en Dos," a self-published poetry book, and also published writer featured in magazines such as Sábanas, El Vicio del Tintero, Emily, and the Anthology of the Revolutionary Alliance. Bachelor student of English Literature and minors in Comparative Literature and Teacher Preparation. Born and raised in the West of Puerto Rico, artist, dancer, tree-hugger and animal rights activist. 
English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.