Un Eterno Colegial: Celebrity Speaker, Fufi Santori

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

On Thursday September 25, UPRM’s students had the opportunity to attend a conference lead by knowledgeable fellow colegial, Fufi Santori. Santori’s list of accomplishment is vast- leading a versatile life being one of them. The 82-year-old was part of Puerto Rico’s national basketball selection for 10 years. Graduated from El Colegio de Agricultura y Artes Mecánicas as an industrial engineer in the late 50’s. He has published books, has composed music, was involved with politics are just a few of his accomplishments. He currently writes a column for El Nuevo Día titled “El Pasaporte Boricua”.

Time flew by as the ex-basketball player shared his thoughts on sports, nationality and education in-between laughs and tears. He gave everyone who heard him a lot to think about- especially about or love- or lack of it- for our patría, Puerto Rico.

After his conference, Her Campus UPRM was lucky enough to have a little talk with Santori, where he stressed the importance of reading. His versatile life is a product of it. Fufi Santori grew up in a household that valued and incited education therefore he developed a tremendous curiosity that propelled his later success in life. 

Photo taken by Roberto Sanchez. 

Developing a habit of reading productively will eventually lead to a love of learning. Establishing a reason for those endless study hours will help as well. Santori comments that in the end we should do it for our neighbors, that our purpose in life are helping others, helping our society be better one.

For more on Fufi Santori’s thoughts and beliefs about numerous disciplines check out his book, Perspectivas. 

Olivieri is a Puerto Rican entrepreneur who craves knowledge and has a passion for writing. Currently trying to unravel the world's mysteries by majoring in physics.