This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

2017 came and went, and it has definitely been quite the remarkable year. It’s probably been one of the hardest years of my life, and I know I’m not the only one, such as the abundant amount of people still recovering from Hurricane Maria. Personally, this year brought me new challenges. but also left me with many memorable moments that I will treasure forever with my friends and family. I have grown a lot; I am not the same person I was last year, for which I am grateful. I have come out a lot stronger and because of this. Here are some of the biggest lessons I learned this past year.

1.       Acceptance

I learned to accept the truth and the things that are out of my control. It can be very liberating to stop fighting reality.

2.       The only thing you have control over is yourself

At the end of the day, this is all you can control. How you react and act makes a difference in your life.

3.       Be grateful

Learn to appreciate what you have, because you never know when it might be taken away.

4.       Leave the toxic people behind

It is totally okay and necessary to cut out the people in your life that don’t bring you positivity and happiness, and only drag you down. You have to take care of yourself and your well-being, both mentally and physically.

5.       PATIENCE

Last year I practiced a lot of patience. Between waiting in long lines for gas, water, food, and waiting for the electricity to come back, I had to remember that good things come to those who wait.

6.       Attitude

No matter what you’re going through, your attitude plays a big part. You can either look at the glass half-empty or half-full.

7.       Write about what you know

You don’t need to sit and wait for the perfect  creativity storm to suddenly hit you. Start small and take inspiration from the everyday life that surrounds you. Keep it simple!

8.       Be honest

Let people in. I learned that when you are truly honest and show vulnerability people respond likewise. Your relationship will grow stronger and you won’t have to carry your burdens alone.

9.   Confidence

A lot of the times we know the answer to our worries, but we don’t believe that we do. I learned to trust more in myself, my strengths and my intuition.

10.    Make the most of the present

Life can change in the blink of an eye. This year, I learned not to take time for granted and live in the moment. You have to seize opportunities and not overthink it!

11.   People will always come and go

People don’t stay in your life forever. They are just passing through, and eventually someone leaves. Don’t dwell on the fact they left; be happy you met them in the first place. I learned to make the most of the time I have with the people I meet along the way.

English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.