This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

For the final installment of Slaying on Campus, we interviewed two female students that are involved in numerous extracurricular activities. These students prove that juggling your studies with extracurriculars and your social life is an achievable goal if you organize your time and follow some of the additional tips that they will share. If you haven’t read our first and second installment of Slaying on Campus, check them out below!

Part I | Part II

Alexandra L. Ramos

My name is Alexandra L. Ramos and I’m currently a second-year Chemical Engineering major at UPRM. I am part of the team for the “3DRUM” club, which is a 3-D printing team in the Engineering of Medicine and Biology Society (EMB). Our objective is to build 3-D Printers for prosthetics and biological uses. I also hold a research assistant position in the Chemical Engineering Department in the area of Supercritical Fluids. Currently, I am an undergraduate assistant in The Bewley Applied Turbulence Lab at Cornell University, where I am in charge of building and designing a piece for a Pressure Vessel that measures shocklets. Even though I’m a Chemical Engineering major, I’m also interested in the Mechanical Engineering world.

So that you know a little bit about me, I am a down-to-earth person who tries to enjoy life to the fullest and takes advantage of whichever opportunity that will help me grow as I person. A fun fact about me is that I love amapolas; the prettiest flower in the world. Other things I love to do are,  traveling and learning German. My career goal is to work for either a high-profile car company or an innovative makeup brand.

I have taken many steps to reach where I am today. Something that helped me kickstart my success has been searching for opportunities since I got to UPRM. In my freshman year, I went to the career fair and many SHPE and AIChe activities where I met and networked with upper-class students and professors that helped me find experiences that I could be a part of. Also, working hard in my classes helps me be a competitive candidate for whichever opportunity I am pursuing. These past few years, I’m happy to say I have been able to obtain various accomplishments, but my greatest has been to be chosen to study in Cornell University for a semester.

(Alexandra pictured with her friends at Cornell University)

My advice to any student is to not be afraid to talk to upper-class students and professors from whichever faculty; you will never know what great opportunities they can bring you. Also, never underestimate yourself! Maybe you are lost and trying to figure out what you want to do in life, academically or career-wise. It’s okay to not know what you want to do, but don’t let that bring you down! Be open to seizing opportunities in different fields until you find one that is right for you.

Berenice Fernández

My name is Berenice Fernández and I’m a second-year Chemical Engineering undergraduate student. I am the director of the Scholars Program of the IEEE UPRM chapter, which is a development program for freshmen that guides them in all areas of their college life, from research & development of their ideas to academics and technical skills. I’m also the Vice-President of the Power & Energy Society under the IEEE, a Research Assistant on a Microfabrication research project, working the Human Engineering aspects of another research project with three partners, and at the same time we’re developing this project into a startup with the help of Idea Platform’s Achieve tribe. Involving myself in many extracurricular and social activities helps me focus even more when I’m getting my studying and class projects done. There is no time for procrastination. I also love that with these activities I get to meet many people with similar interests as mine!

When I was a freshman, I got accepted into the Scholars Program that I’m now directing. I think that I got this position because I’m very organized; I meet most of my deadlines and I really do believe in the Scholars Program’s vision and mission. I’ve been working non-stop with a group of 11 freshmen under my wing to help them develop themselves in the areas that they’re all interested in and we’re currently raising a Research & Development Program that will hopefully be available for every IEEE member and UPRM student in the future.

(Berenice pictured with fellow  IEEE members)

I think my greatest accomplishment up until now has been that I got accepted into the Student Research Opportunities Program (SROP) at Ohio State University, as they’re a part of the Big 10 Academic Alliance. Through this program, I have the opportunity to conduct research during the summer under one of their Graduate Studies Department that is of my interest. I’m really excited about this and I haven’t stopped grinning, at least once a day since I got the news!

I recommend to my fellow female students to exploit each and every one of your talents and capabilities to achieve your goals. Never underestimate yourselves; everyone is capable of making their dreams come true. Work every day to make yourself better in your areas of interest. Know your limits and when to say no. You want to accept opportunities that will help those around you and yourself be better, not the ones that you may accept to please other people. Finally, sleep at least eight hours a day; you will regret that all-nighter.

♡ Marketing Major working towards a minor in Graphic Design ♡
English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.