Review: “Partida en Dos”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

“To all of those that stayed and tried to understand my ways. To all of those that dream and want.” These are the words that introduce the pages of Gabrielle Armstrong’s first publication, Partida en Dos. Above all, Gabrielle dedicates her book to the dreamer, that like her, pursues the seemingly impossible.

Gabrielle is a junior at Colegio pursuing a bachelor’s degree in English. She began the project of publishing her first book about a year ago. Driven by her passion for literature, palpable in her verses, she took on the project from start to finish. Finally, it was published on January 2017.

Poemario Partida en Dos is a poetry book containing 32 original poems. The collection ranges from topics that reflect on society and life while also exposing the inner most feelings of the author. Full of variety, she includes pieces written in both English and Spanish!

In pieces like “Quod Vitae,” Armstrong explores the meaning of life. “La Vie en Rose: The muse of Dance” is dedicated to one of the author’s life passions, the art of dance. In other pieces like, “Desdicha dividida,” Gabrielle presents the inward struggles of insecurity. She also writes poems like “Amante luna”, a musical poem full of beautiful imagery dedicated to the moon.

Gabrielle’s poemario is available for purchase on Amazon and the bookstore El Candil!

Undergraduate psychology major with a passion for art. Loves traveling and spreading her creative spirit!
Jennifer Mojica Santana is an undergraduate student at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez Campus (UPRM). She is currently pursuing a degree in English with a concentration in Literature, and minor studies in Project Management and Writing and Communications. Mojica Santana has written for UPRM's chapter of the online magazine Her Campus since March 2015. She served as the chapter's Senior Editor from January 2016 through May 2016. From June 2016 through October 2017, Mojica Santana was the chapter's co-Campus Correspondent and co-Editor-in-Chief. During the summer of 2917, she conducted research at Brown University. Currently, she is a visiting student at Brown University.