#PiropeandoConMaría: A Short Reflection On Life Post-María

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

In the midst of life after María, some Puerto Ricans are looking for ways to escape their problems by simply expressing themselves. Many have chosen to help those in need; some have created community activities, while others have found a home in the arts. UPRM sophomore, Erick Echevarría, decided to use humor in order to escape such a difficult time.

In #PiropeandoConMaría, a short, free, PDF book, Echevarría uses pick-up lines, or piropos as they’re known in Puerto Rico, in a humorous fashion in order to escape and provide his own perspective on life post-María. But do not let the humor deceive you. Like many comedic acts, Echevarría’s piropos reflect the hectic organization by the Puerto Rican government in this difficult time.

With a piropo like “Baby, tú vales mas que un contrato con Whitefish” (“Baby, you you are more valuable than a Whitefish contract”), Echevarría manages to not only provide a bit of wit, but also address the controversy behind the Puerto Rican government’s quick hiring of the Montana-based company Whitefish.

(picture taken from #PiropeandoConMaría by Erick Echevarría)

Another topic Echevarría covers in his short book is that of Claro Puerto Rico’s advertisement campaign after the passing of the storm. Echevarría’s piropo goes “Baby, mi amor por ti esta como Claro…por todos lados” (“Baby, my love for you is like Claro…it’s everywhere”). While other communication providers like AT&T and T-Mobile struggled and continue to regain their services around the island, Claro Puerto Rico was the first communication provider to quickly regain strength. Thus, as the piropo states, they are “everywhere.”

Further down the line, Echevarría touches the subject of FEMA and how many Puerto Ricans are relying on their services to have a better future. In the piropo, “Baby, no necesitas el dinero de FEMA para construir un futuro conmigo” (“Baby, you don’t need FEMA’s money to build a future with me”). Again, Echevarría provides another comedic piropo with a bit of reflection towards the current situation.

Many Puerto Ricans have found different ways to escape the chaotic aftermath left by Hurricane María. Echevarría managed to do it in a short-for-free PDF book he titled #PiropeandoConMaría. While the book is far from perfect, it shows that in the face of adversity we must learn to cope with the problem and move forward, be it by helping others, making music, or writing piropos.

Fernando E. E. Correa González is the author behind over 20 self-published poetry books. He has been published by literary magazines & journals [Id]entidad, El Vicio del Tintero, Sábanas Magazine, Smaeralit and Tonguas. Other than writing, Correa is also a filmmaker, podcaster, photographer and master’s student. He currently lives in his native Puerto Rico.
English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.