New (School) Year Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Starting the school year is very similar to the beginning of New Year. These great expectations start building up, there are so many possibilities and opportunities to take on; and it gives a chance to better ourselves. If you’re one of those people who just think about their resolutions, then you better grab a pen and take notes on some resolution ideas for this new school year you definitely need to stick to.

1.      Get more organized

I’m sure we’ve all said it at least once, but organization is a practice. Try to stick to it this time; you’ll see just how you will be feeling better, almost stress-free once you get to the mid-semester slump. 

2.     Learn how to manage stress

Stress is just as dangerous for our help as catching the flu, so it’s not as unimportant as it may seem. All the contrary, managing stress is one of the most important aspects you’ll need to develop for your professional life. Try to live one day at a time, don’t rush. 

3.     Make working-out part of your everyday routine

Many see working out as an enormous amount of effort, but it’s really not if you make a part of your everyday routine. Just like having your daily cup of coffee, have your daily dose of blood pumping. 

4.     Practice mindfulness

Mindfulness is not a concept we’ll all familiar with. Nevertheless, all college students should be. Starting to practice mindfulness from now will help you improve immensely in every aspect of your development. Try meditating, observing, and most important, pay attention. 

5.     Be more involved in campus activities

At some point we’ve been that student that gets out of class and goes straight to her/his apartment. Change that and get involved in some of the great variety of activities our campus has to offer. 

6.     Make time for yourself

There are hectic times during the semester, in which we are all focused on our school work, different association’s responsibilities, etc.; still, we have to remember that making time for ourselves is part of keeping that so-wanted balance. 

7.     Take more risks

This is the time in our lives when it’s okay, and what’s more, it’s expected of us to fail. By that it’s meant that, taking risks -when it’s about a goal and passion- it’s definitely something to embrace and not be afraid of. 

8.    Make new friends

We all have our comfort zone, even our comfort friends. But common, don’t be the student that doesn’t speak to anyone in class. Get to know new people, you never know if it turns out to be the best thing you’ve done. 

9.     Spend consciously

Finances are always a resolution we want to complete, but somewhere along the way we tend to forget. So to make it easier on ourselves, it’s not about making huge money cuts but really spending consciously. This means knowing where to spend your money, more importantly establishing priorities. 

10.Stick to this list

Mónica Ocasio is a senior majoring in comparative literature, with a minor in Italian at the University of Puerto Rico- Mayagüez. Born, raised and living in Puerto Rico, Mónica has always enjoyed reading a good book, spending time with her family and baking.