Meet Female Athlete of the Year: Cristina Robles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

She has the mind of a champion! says her trainer. Her best quality? She is extremely self-demanding, and that makes an athlete successful. Pedro Guevara, UPRM Cheerleading Squad trainer is more than pleased with Cristina’s flawless performance at Las Justas Cheerleading Competition. Her hard work, along with a thirst for constant improvement made her deserving of the Female Athlete of the Year Award, given to the cheerleader that proves the most outstanding during the competition stages. “Cristina has only one way of doing things, and that is with excellence! 

Name: Cristina Robles Feliciano

Major: Animal Science

Hometown: Mayagüez, P.R.

HC: What motivated you to audition for the UPRM Cheerleading Squad?

Cristina: My sister insisted I should go to the tryouts. I felt shy at first, because I didn’t have any experience on cheerleading. Yet, I had been a gymnast for seven years, so that probably helped me make the cut. 

HC: How has being part of the UPRM Cheerleading Team contributed positively to your college experience and personal formation?

Cristina: It has been the best part of my college experience so far! I have met many extraordinary people in the team, including my boyfriend. As for personal growth, I have learned to manage my time successfully and to develop discipline.

HC: You met your boyfriend in the squad? Tell us more about that!

Cristina: I met him about one month after I was accepted on the team. He asked me to practice ‘stunt’ together and I accidentally kicked him on the face. I wrote to him that night to apologize and that was that was when it all started. 

HC: The UPRM Cheerleading Squad won the silver medal in the LAI Justas Competition this year. How has the team evolved over the years? What were the key factor’s in this year’s victory?

Cristina: The team has evolved fantastically. Right now our routine is much more complex, with difficult elements and that showed in the competition.

HC: You quoted in your Facebook page that last year you set yourself the goal of winning the Female Athlete of the Year award. What aspects of your performance as an athlete stood out this year in comparison to others that made you deserving of this award?

Cristina: Last year I was the new girl in the squad, so my participation in the routine was limited. I set myself with the goal of excelling so I could earn a more engaging role on this year’s routine and so it happened. The trainer saw my progress and placed me on the whole routine. I think the award was about the evident effort I made on doing my best. Next year we will come stronger and ready to win that CAAMpeonato!

Photo Credits: Resistencia Deportiva, Cristina’s Facebook Page.

Former Chief Editor and Campus Correspondent at the Her Campus UPRM chapter of the University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez. Writing in NYC, living the dream.
Her Campus at UPRM