Let’s Hear It for the Boys

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Carlos Micames Montalvo

Age: 21

Major: Political Science

What Carlos has published so far: How to Handle Midterm Stress

Why did you join HCUPRM? I joined HC in order to improve my writing skills and develop myself by working on articles that can be enjoyed by a variety of readers. I’ve always written many songs and I wanted to keep practicing those skills.

Whar are your interests? I love politics, playing tennis (I’ve been on the Varsity team since 2013), playing guitar and hanging out at the beach with friends.

What are your professional goals? My goal professionally is to practice law, specializing in corporate. My passion has always been law and politics and I want to experience it from a different perspective.

Carlos has been writing songs since he was 7 years old and is currently writing a book!

Gerardo Mercado

Age: 21

Majors: Pure Mathematics and Theoretical Physics. This is the first semester of my 5th year.

What Gerardo has published so far: I’ve published From a guy to guys please stop (doing these things), focusing on denouncing sexist male behaviors towards women. It was surprisingly shared by the main HC page, so I’m pretty proud of that.

Why did you join Her Campus UPRM? I decided to join after my girlfriend (also a writer for HCUPRM) suggested it could be a great outlet for my ideas regarding culture and living in Puerto Rico. Plus I’m very invested in the liberation of women, writing for a website focusing on just them as people had a very appealing sense to me.

What are your interests? Academic wise, I’ve been doing physics research with one of the universities professors for about two years. These have mainly involved just doing math and making graphs around their solutions. I’m also really interested in film and comic criticism, for which I did start a WordPress, but ever since the current semester started it seems like I haven’t had the time to write anything on the subjects. I’m also an avid reader of the website BIRTH.MOVIES.DEATH.

What are your professional goals? In the future I would love to obtain a Ph.D. in theoretical physics and focus on a very peculiar branches of the field involving sub-atomic particle and quantum gravity while simultaneously try my hand at being professional movie critic.

“I hated math in high-school and once got D in a science class, go figure.”

José Armando Horta

Age: 20 (5 considering I was born on a leap year)

Major: English Literature, third year

What José has published for HCUPRM: A profile of Dr. Miriam González Hernández, multiple reviews, among other things. He started writing for Her Campus UPRM last semester.

Why did you join HCUPRM? I joined Her Campus because I saw a great opportunity to not only improve my writing, but to join a group of like-minded people that enjoy providing great content for everyone at UPRM. It has honestly been the most lit decision I’ve made since arriving at UPRM

What are your interests? I’m a huge fan of board games. I’m also a total Xbox fanboy and I love bartending and anything that has to do with the kitchen. I also started my own blog, Damelo Pa’ Llevar, dedicated to reviewing and spotlighting restaurants all over the island.

What are your professional goals? I want to go to law school someday and join my brother at his firm in New Jersey. As for alternate goals, going to culinary school and starting my own food truck or restaurant has always been a dream of mine.

José was born on a leap year gets two birthdays (February 28 and March 1) because well, he can.

Christian Quintero

Age: 23 come Monday (Happy birthday!)

Major: Psychology

Academic Year: I have more in common with fossils than freshmen

What are your interests? I’m fascinated by women, Im fascinated by their stories, their battles, and the causes that burn inside them. i joined her campus because as an inspiring psychologist, I wanted not only to narrate their stories but to find our sunset along side them. Currently, I’m working on project with an impressive group of talented professors and assistant student researchers, who I’m proud to call my mentors. When I’m not there, I can be found complaining about having to go to the gym while eating nachos. 

What are your professional goals? More than anything, I’m ambling on. Some days I know exactly where I wanna go, others I question if the paradigm of success and anxiety surrounding academia are worth the blood, sweat, and tears that will frame my diploma. My professional goals all revolve around people. I wanna believe that a day like today I’ll be checking over patient files in a corner of the world where I’ve built a happy little life. It doesn’t’ have to sparkle, it just has to be mine.

When Christian was a child he set fire to his house. Of the experience, he says that “the thing about fire sometimes it can roast a marshmallow, sometimes you can roast your house, so now a days the only fire I play with is fireball whisky.”

Claudia is a witchy English Literature and International Affairs major from La Parguera. She's worked in various on-campus projects, such as the MayaWest Writing Project and as a tutor at the English Writing Center. In addition, she's worked at Univision and has also been published in El Nuevo Día and El Post Antillano. When she doesn't have her nose in a book, you can find Claudia tweeting something snarky and pushing boundaries as a Beyoncé expert. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram, @clauuia.