Las Justas 2016: A Full Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Tuesday, April 12: At softball, Tarzanes win silver in softball, Juanas win bronze.

Colegio ended up third place overall in the  judo championship.

Wednesday, April 13: Las Juanas dethroned La Inter at the LAI Soccer Female Championship.

Later that night, Las Juanas struck again! At a nail biting game  and after fighting against an adverse marker the whole night, Colegio dethroned Las Vaqueras from UPRB for the LAI Basketball Female Championship.

Bummer: Meanwhile, somewhere at the stage of radio station Reggaeton 94, things got pretty wild…

Thursday April 15: Colegio wins the overall LAI Male Swimming Championship for the first time 20 years, with Alex “Cuba” Hernández as the MVP.

Edgar Bernardini obtains silver at the longitudinal jump competition.

Ashley “Chencha” Laureano wins gold at 10,000 meters flat race.

UPRM Dance Team delivered a stunning performance that undoubtedly deserved first place, however  they revalidated as “SubCAAMpeones.” ¡Plata que sabe a oro!

This was Her Campus UPRM’s favorite performance, since one of our own, Gabrielle Armstrong, performed. We are so proud of you “Peque!”

Bummer: The 40 minutes or longer line for checkpoints and the  $1 fee to use the restroom anywhere decent.

Friday, April 16: (Drumroll)….The cheerleading competition finally took place. Colegiales packed “el Palacio” to cheer for our green and white team. Despite our Bulldog’s complicated presentation  and a few technical difficulties here and there they revalidated as “SubCAAMpeones.” Next year we go for gold!

Bummer: The attitude of some Colegiales towards our Cheerleading Team after their performance was disrespectful. Despite their minor mistakes during  the routine, they did a good job deserving of the silver medal; therefore, all they should be getting from us are applauses, not shade.

Saturday April 16: Closing of Las Justas at the Estadio Centroamericano.

The green crowd didn’t disappoint, cheering energetically in support of our athletes throughout the events. Our Tarzanes won silver in the 4×100 relay race, as well as in throw shot put with Ángel Alayón. Amanda Díaz won third place at javelin throw, while George Rivera revalidated as champion of “salto a lo alto. Javier Pagán won bronze at the triple jump, and Francis Rivera killed it at the 400 meters flat race, ending up in third place. Ashley “Chencha” Laureano closed up the winnings with her third gold medal, this time at the 3,000 meters with obstacles. Highlight: La Centenaria Banda Colegial rocked it, period. It doesn’t matter whose colors you rooted for, when our band is playing, everyone shuts up and listens. Majestic, to say the least, their Star Wars’ themed performance was unlike anything we had ever seen before.  There is a reason why we are the official band of the LAI. But enough talking, witness it yourself, and while you do, scream with pride…¡ANTES, AHORA Y SIEMPRE COLEGIO!

https://youtu.be/ADJ6F_GvICI

Special thanks to Huella Deportiva for allowing us to use their pictures at the article. 

Former Chief Editor and Campus Correspondent at the Her Campus UPRM chapter of the University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez. Writing in NYC, living the dream.