Kindergarten vs. College (5 Things We Miss)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

We all remember the good old Kindergarten stress free days when you didn’t feel like you needed twenty Advil’s when your teacher mentioned the words “you,” “her/him,” “group,” and “partners” in the same sentence. Wish you had a time machine? Oh yes, me too. Here are just a few of the things that made me realize how much I took for granted when I was a kid.

1. NAPS

You know you’re adulting when you count every single second, minute, and second just because you’re desperate to get out of class and take a nap on the bench outside or just about ANYWHERE. Then you think about how in Kindergarten you cried because you despised “nap time” THAT much. Naps in college are essential if you wanna survive, thus you should ALWAYS take them whenever, WHEREVER you can.  

2. CLOTHES/ HAIR

Your hair is semi okay and other days you’re just wishing your mom still brushed it for you just like she did in preschool because, that’s how busy and/or tired you are. You basically don’t have time for fixing your hair in college. Color coordinated outfits that your overly joyed mother picked out for you? Nope, college students can’t relate to that anymore. We’re more the type to throw it on and move on. If pajamas sound fitting for calculus, then so be it.

3. FOOD

You know what? Life is just better when you’re in Kindergarten. In terms of food, your mom made your lunch then proceeded to put it in a Ziploc bag and you didn’t have to worry about counting all the pennies at the end of your purse—because seriously, who even uses them?

4. HOMEWORK

College students have all types of homework and it WILL pile up if you don’t do them on time, while in Kindergarten we’re not even taught the word responsibility yet which I think is why some of us procrastinate way more than we should. Kindergarten homework was all about making sure the butterfly in your coloring book made it home safely by drawing a line, but college homework can vary from if she did this and that then what the heck is her middle name or balance the oxygen atoms in this thermochemical equation. #confused

5. SCHOOL SUPPLIES

The definition of the word stress changes from time to time as a college student. Sometimes it’s “I’m going to end up living off of coupons” or “Why are books so expensive?” Trust me when I say that Kindergarten school supplies are WAY different and you probably never even used them most of the time. When you’re out of hair to pull, you’ll miss the smell of crayons and chalk because that’s just how much you regret growing up.

Although life in college is hard many of us can agree that this has changed us for the better, as we have learned to be independent. Now go and get that degree with or without the naps (strongly suggest and stress that with rather than without).

Undergraduate marketing student from the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez. Born & raised in the west coast.
English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.