This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

By Zamayra Colón

Want to stop being a couch potato, but don’t know which exercises to practice? By doing these ten exercises 3 to 4 times per week, you’ll have a solid start for other exercise routines that you may find:

Each rep should be done in 30 seconds, unless otherwise specified, with a 15 second break in-between.

1. 45-second warm up with jumping jacks

Targets: All of your muscles

How: Stand with your feet together and your hands must be down by your side. Then in one motion jump your feet out to the sides and raise your arms above your head. Immediately reverse that motion by jumping back to the starting position.

2. Push Ups – do all you can.

Targets: Chest, Triceps,Shoulders

How: The starting push up position is hands on the floor, shoulder width; feet twelve inches apart and back straight. Then lower your chest to the floor, keeping your body in a straight line. (Elbows make a 90 degree angle.) After lowering your chest lift yourself back to starting position.

3. Bicycle Abs

Targets: Abdominals

How: Lay flat on your back. Place your hands behind your head and perform a crunch while slowly swinging your right elbow to your left knee. Alternate sides and repeat at a rapid rate.

4. Squats. If you want that J-Lo booty you must squat for them.

Targets: Quadriceps, Hamstring, Butt

How: Stand with your feet slightly wider than your hips and extend your hands forward. (Point your toes at least 10 degrees outwards.) Lower your body into a sitting position until your knees make a 90 degree angle. Then go back to the starting position and repeat.

6. Side Tri Rise (30 seconds each side)

Targets: Triceps, Abdominals

How: Lie down on your right side making a 30 degree angle between your upper body and lower body. Grab your left shoulder with your right hand and  left hand must be on the floor in front of you. Then lift your body.

6. Full body crunch

Targets: Abdominals, Core

How: Lie on your back with your legs straight. Lift your feet up the ground and tuck your knees in toward your chest as you crunch your upper body up. Crunch both your lower and upper body together then relax your upper body back down as you kick your legs out straight. 

Please note: Beginners may keep their hands and knees higher off the ground while more advanced ones keep it closer to the ground. Do not stress about it!

7. Stationary Lunges

Targets: Quadriceps, Hamstrings, Calves, Butt

How: Stand straight with your hands on your hips. Then take a big step. Then lower your body until your knee makes a 90 degree angle.

8. Plank

Targets: Core

How: Elbows on the floor (shoulder width),feet together and keep your back straight.

9. Wall Sit

Targets: Quadriceps, Hamstrings

How: Lean your back against the wall and then slide your body down to a sitting position. Your feet must be six inches apart and knees must make a 90 degree angle.

10. High Knees

Targets: Core, Legs

How: Run in place, lifting your knees 90 degrees or more. Your arms must follow the motions. 

Remember to stretch when you are done!

Her Campus at UPRM
Claudia is a witchy English Literature and International Affairs major from La Parguera. She's worked in various on-campus projects, such as the MayaWest Writing Project and as a tutor at the English Writing Center. In addition, she's worked at Univision and has also been published in El Nuevo Día and El Post Antillano. When she doesn't have her nose in a book, you can find Claudia tweeting something snarky and pushing boundaries as a Beyoncé expert. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram, @clauuia.