“Del 2014 al 2016”: Mike Rodz Throws it Back to His Beginnings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Every now and then it’s good to look back at one’s beginnings in order to see how one has evolved, and that’s exactly why Mike Rodz decided to release his EP Del 2014 al 2016. In this small project, the Cayey rapper compiles a set of songs that inform listeners of his growth as a musician, which might seem as a sign of the artist preparing fans and future spectators that he’ll be dropping new music this year.

(cover for Del 2014 al 2016)

Del 2014 al 2016  is a project where one can find Rodz’s evolution in a variety of ways. Lyrically one can see how his flow varies and the different topics he explores, such as love in “Contigo,” friendship in “Con la Ayuda de mis Amigos,” imagination in the song of the same name, and status of music in a corrupt world in “Música Buena.” However, while the artist displays his abilities to touch on different topics, one can easily dismiss his musical taste.

(Del 2014 al 2016 tracklist)

In its short length, Mike Rodz’s compilation EP shows off a few of the rapper’s various influences. While it can be said that he’s mostly in love with boom-bap rap, as found in “Contigo,” “Nelm,” and his latest single “No Saben Na.” In a song like, “Con la Ayuda de mis Amigos” one can find how the artist’s ear is interested in other sounds. By sampling The Beatles in the aforementioned track and finishing it with a psychedelic electronic soundscape, one can see that Mike Rodz is willing to explore and experiment in his music. Not only do classic forms of hip-hop, but also rock-n-roll and psychedelic sounds influence him, which demonstrates promise in one of the best up-and-coming talents from the independent Puerto Rican art scene.

(picture of Mike Rodz as found on his Facebook page)

Mike Rodz’s Del 2014 al 2016 is a fantastic compilation of the artist’s first few tracks which demonstrated his versatility both musically and lyrically. His ability to explore topics that range from friendship to corruption in the music business and society, while balancing his hip-hop roots and doing so with psychedelic rock-n-roll, this EP presents an artist who isn’t afraid of experimentation in a world where the musical landscape is becoming more saturated every day.

Listen to Del 2014 al 2016 on Spotify here.

Fernando E. E. Correa González is the author behind over 20 self-published poetry books. He has been published by literary magazines & journals [Id]entidad, El Vicio del Tintero, Sábanas Magazine, Smaeralit and Tonguas. Other than writing, Correa is also a filmmaker, podcaster, photographer and master’s student. He currently lives in his native Puerto Rico.
English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.