Cutendencias, A Play Like No Other

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Once again Presencias has outdone itself – the waiting line was possibly longer than for the first event of the semester. There was a late change, as originally it was scheduled to be the play De Allá y De Acá, but then changed to the play Cutendencia, brought to the University of Mayaguez by the company Y No Habia Luz. Despite this, the Amphitheater Figueroa Chapel was still full to the brim with students, professors, and general public that joined us Colegiales to enjoy this magnificent event. Already at 7:00pm a projector was placed outside by the entrance to the amphitheater, with chairs in front of it, for those who would not make it inside – it proved worth it, as the capacity of people did not hold everyone inside. The line only seemed to grow larger before the time to open the doors came, at seven o’clock.

Cutendencia was a play with a well-delivered message and a fun, yet curious atmosphere. The actors put their hearts into the performance, which mostly costed of chirping sounds that were quite hilarious – even inciting one or two people from the audience to “chirp” back at them. There was so much dynamic and interaction with the audience – if you went to this play and didn’t share one or two good laughs it would be a miracle in itself.

It started out with a humorous call, from possibly one of the actors, during the third and final call before the play started, making everybody crack before Cutendencia had even begun. There was also a short that was played out with a projector before the play itself – done by the company’s actors themselves – which was an excellent way to set the mood in the audience.

The first scene of the play was with an intriguing little routine where one of the characters was getting out of a cardboard box, spending a good amount of time doing so. Soon enough this one was joined by two other characters, and then a fourth that came from behind the audience. Watching the actor play with a beach ball by tossing it back and forth with the audience was worth the wait – plus, he even walked over the rows of people sitting in the amphitheater!

The use of puppetry came into action as well, when a blue puppet was animated by three of the actors. From having a mundane routine, to the American dream, this puppet showed the main points the play was trying to convey. The entire play was beyond creative, from costumes, to scenography, but the way in which they moved and gave life to the puppet was incredible.

“I always want to leave.” The puppet referring to his unwanted job in an office cubicle. Speaking about how mundane his life is, wishing to get out of the same routine.

The play itself was dominated by a specific geometric shape, a cube. On top of the head of each character, on their nose, the office cubicle, the Rubik’s cubes used in scenography, the cardboard boxes – you name it!

One of the most random, yet amazing moments, was when rubber balls began to shower the stage from all directions – left, right, from above, and even from the front, where the spectators would grab the balls that had driven off stage and back to the characters.

After the play was over the actors came to the stage to have a little Q&A with the spectators.

“You impressed me.” A girl who claimed to be a “fan” of their small organization expressed. She seemed really excited to have them at the university.

“We created this play being college students just like you.” Explained one of the actors. Y No Habia Luz have been together for about ten years, which is really long considering how these type of groups usually part in separate ways. Apparently in this group they found what they truly wanted to do and decided to dedicate themselves to it – acting. They were also very excited at being able to give us the chance to see their work, “…give the opportunity to those who can’t visit us in Santurce.”

“What exquisite costumes!” It’s possible everybody was thinking the same as this woman, considering it was so unique and simple at the same time.

All in all, the night was a fun one, with much laughter, applause, rubber balls, cubes, and talented people. Said talent is being used, and the audience adores them!

Her Campus at UPRM