element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Christmas Drinks Around The World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Christmas is right around the corner, and it’s time to make party preparations. For those who like variety, or just feel a bit international this year, here is a list of some drinks that can light up the spirit of the party.

1. Mulled Wine

A wintertime favorite in many European countries, known by many names: Glogg (Sweden, Denmark, Finland), Gluhwein (Germany), Vin Brule (Italy), Wassail (UK). The drink is composed of hot wine mixed with spices, the spices usually depend on the country and preference. Some of the ingredients typically used include: cinnamon, ginger, lemon, sugar, anis, among others.

Recipe here.

2. Monkey’s Tail

In Spanish known as ‘Cola de mono,’ no one really knows the origin of the name, but don’t worry you won’t need any monkey parts to make this Chilean favorite. You will need: aguardiente (alcohol), milk, sugar, coffee and cloves. It’s basically spiked coffee, and it is very popular in Winter festivities.

Recipe here.

3. Christmas Punch

Ponche de Navidad is famous in Mexico, Guatemala, and other South American countries. This fruit juice concoction can be made with any desired and available fruit, wine, rum or aguardiente. Whether you want to put alcohol in it or not depends on the type of party and guests, but it is always made in a huge bowl from which everyone can serve themselves a cup.

Recipe here.

4. Feuerzangenbowle

The literal translation for this German favorite is ‘fire tongs punch,’ which perfectly explains how it’s made. Using wine, rum and sugar, the people who make this drink flame up the alcohol and with a pair of tongs they melt a sugar cone over the drink.

Recipe here.

5. Poppy Milk

Lithuanians take the poppy seed and process it to make a milk-like liquid, then they mix it with sugar and honey. This Christmastime drink is made much how like any milk from nuts is made.

Recipe here.

6. Eggnog

A favorite in USA, Canada and some parts of Australia, this drink is made from milk, cream, egg whites and sugar.

Recipe here.

7. Coquito

Local favorite in Puerto Rico, ‘Coquito’ is appropriately named for the key ingredient used in its making: coconut milk. Unlike other beverages mentioned above, which you can drink hot or cold, I do not suggest drinking Coquito hot, ever.

Recipe here.

English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.