Carlos Tells All: Life as a Library of Congress Intern

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Cover Photo: Carlos Carrero with the Library of Congress interns and past Deputy Librarian Robert Newlen.

Former UPRM student Carlos A. Carrero Sepúlveda, 24, spent this past Fall semester living his English major’s dream as an intern for the Library of Congress. The Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities (HACU) offers students like Carrero the chance to intern in Washington D.C. through their National Internship Program which allowed him to be a Support Assistant for the Center for the Book’s Letters About Literature Program. This role entailed “making decisions about the program, planning for next year’s competition, as well as creating visual and social media for the program.” Carrero’s Film Certificate has come in handy, seeing as how he is currently in the process of “recording some short, educational videos which will help both promote the program and educate the students about letter-writing.”

It is not all work though; Carrero found friends in the program with whom to share cultural ideas with. Being in a cosmopolitan city made him reflect “on what it means to be Puerto Rican, and exchange thoughts and ideas on what makes one’s own birthplace truly special.” Homesickness in the form of missing food, friends, and family was at times overwhelming. This feeling was exacerbated during and post-Hurricane María since many interns’ families were affected. Of being in D.C. at this turbulent time, Carrero commented it was a “stressful experience. I was anxious to know about my family, friends, and those I hold dear.” He did not hear from his loved ones for two weeks and grew anxious after viewing images of the devastation. Carrero and his fellow interns quickly sprung into action though, and organized fundraisers, collected donations, and brought attention to the issue through interviews.

HACU interns at the National Museum of Air and Space in Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center

Carrero made sure to attend the free cultural, artistic, historical, and humanities-related activities constantly happening around the city. He could not get to all of them on foot though, and advises future interns to take the time to understand the bus (WMATA) schedule as well as the DC Metro system to better navigate the capital’s streets. Carrero expressed sincere exasperation with the infamously troubling system and will not miss hearing “This train is being held for momentarily readjustment, we will be moving shortly,” at least once a week.

Carrero also advises future interns to be communicative about what they seek from their internship and to enjoy themselves as much as possible. He identified asking questions as the best tool for learning on the job, and emphasized how effective communication opened up opportunities: “By just asking and talking, I got to meet the Librarian of Congress Dr. Carla Hayden, conversed with the film director Christopher Nolan, and met a lot of other interesting people in my few months of internship.” Needless to say, Carrero enjoyed his time in D.C., and hopes others will make the most of their experiences in the future.

Carlos Carrero with Poet Laureate Tracy K. Smith.

All photos were provided by Carlos Carrero.

Her Campus at UPRM
English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.