CAAMpus Cutie: A Beautiful Ray of Sunshine, Merarys Ann

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

She is a beautiful ray of sunshine. Her freckles enhance her doll face features, while her long, brown hair would make Pocahontas feel jealous. Her sweet, pleasant voice and contagious smile reveal her passionate, fearless soul. But there is a lot more than meets the eye. This versatile young woman possess rare but precious qualities that will win your hear instantly. Meet this week’s CAAMpus Cutie, Merarys Ann.

Full Name: Merarys Ann Caquías Olivera

Age: 20 

Major: Electrical Engineering 

Year of Study: 4th 

Hometown: Guayanilla, PR

Relationship Status: Single

HC: Describe yourself in three words.

Merarys: I consider myself honest, reliable and loyal. 

HC: Tell us something few people know about you.

Merarys: When I was in high school I used to participate in oratory and public speaking competitions. 

HC: Why major in Electrical Engineering?

Merarys: Making the decision of what I wanted to study was hard, because I always loved communications, but at the same time I love science and technology. I chose the science path, but somehow I have managed to put my public speaking talents into good use on this career. For an engineer, it is necessary to have good communication skills.It is fulfilling to be able to do the two things I love the most at once.

HC: Best UPRM experience:

Merarys: During these three years I’ve met a lot of people that have grown fond to me. Since I am an only child, I have turned these long-lasting friends into the sibblings I never had.

HC: What is your hobby?

Merarys: I love to go fishing with my family on our boat. It is a great way to clear my mind from the stress of school and a failed attempt of a self-tanning- instead of a tan I get more freckles.

HC: Describe your perfect date?

Merarys: A romantic evening with wine and a great food. I am a huge fan of sea food, especially sushi. I’d prefer a quiet, private place where we can talk, watch the sunset and enjoy each other’s company. The success of the date will rely on how well the conversation flows.

HC: How do you see yourself from here to ten years?

Merarys: Whether I am not sure if I want to pursue graduate studies in engineering or start working right away, I can tell you that hopefully I do see myself married to a gentleman, who loves me and supports me as I continue to grow professionally, on whatever path I choose.

HC: Who is your role model and why?

Merarys: During my second summer as a Verizon Wireless intern I had the opportunity to meet Colette Hazen, the Director of the Network Operating Centers of Verizon and mother of triplets. She is the perfect example that a woman can be successful both personally and professionally by finding a balance between the two. I aspire to find that balance myself, so she is somebody I look up to.

HC: Favorite quote:

Merarys: “Educate the children and it won’t be necessary to punish the men.” Pythagoras. I am a strong believer that the world can be better if we invest time and effort in educating our children with core values such as love and respect. If we do so, we have hope for a better tomorrow.  

Former Chief Editor and Campus Correspondent at the Her Campus UPRM chapter of the University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez. Writing in NYC, living the dream.