Book Review: The Sun and Her Flowers by Rupi Kaur

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

The Sun and Her Flowers, by Rupi Kaur, is perfect for anyone who has recently broken up with someone who did not nurture your soul sufficiently to sprout. For all shattered spirits in search of a safe haven, this poetic collection is nectar to busy little injured bees. In a garden where precious buds are in dire need of water, The Sun and Her Flowers reflects souls who rise above the barriers that hinder their growth. It is a passage between decay, awakening, and healing. Rupi Kaur’s most recent anthology is “the recipe of life.”

Rupi Kaur’s newest book vividly plays with paradoxical symbols. I found curious how the book cover contained sunflowers, typically resembling joy and vitality, and its content depicts themes of woe and melancholy. It may symbolize the process of regaining light after prolonged, somber nights of despair. Even vibrant and cheerful beings, like sunflowers, can wilt and suffer with scarce nurturing.

The Sun and Her Flowers encompasses an enticing table of contents, akin to a flower cycle: wilting, falling, rooting, rising, and blooming. Each category portrays poems with illustrations done by Kaur herself, relevant to their respective themes. “Wilting” contains literary pieces, chiefly unfolding early stages of a breakup, and how the person intends to get in touch with their new selves.

“Falling” is its downfall, with intense feelings of loneliness and sorrow. “Depression is a shadow living in me” is a poem where the speaker evokes feelings of dejection and hopelessness, and illustrates a person trapped within their own thoughts. “Rooting” is the process of regaining strength and self-worth. It is contemplating life at its fullest and creating a safe space for rumination. The soul re-energizes itself and starts to regain its worth.

“Rising” is taking action and ascending from the ground. Rupi Kaur’s poem “celebration” describes some of nature’s creatures struggling through the blossoming process, expressing their hesitation to continue their lives and flourish. It is the same as someone refusing to turn the next page, and move on. To regain growth is to leave toxicity in the past, even though its poisonous fruits remain sweet. At first, it is a challenge letting go, yet the minute you realize life does not pause for you, you move forward.

“Blooming” is the peak of the mountain. It is when you reach the summit,look down and observe all sacrifices you have made to get to where you are. It is the final process, when a flower reaches its final form, and has achieved complete growth. “Blooming” is regaining your energy and strength, and recognizing one’s own worth, and learn to love what matters most: yourself.

One of the many reasons to love this book  is its capacity to truly mend and heal broken hearts stuck in despair and darkness. This anthology provides light at the end of the readers’ tunnels, and give hope to souls who consider themselves unfortunate. Reading The Sun and Her Flowers will honestly change your life and your relationships with yourself and others. I am truly looking forward to reading her future publications.

Celia M. Ayala Lugo is pursuing her Ph.D. in Literatures and Languages of the Caribbean in English at University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras. She studied her MA in English Education and worked as a Graduate Teaching Assistant at UPR Mayagüez. She also graduated with a BA in Teaching English as a Second Language (ESL) and a teaching certificate from the Department of Education of Puerto Rico at the Inter-American University of Puerto Rico at San Germán. Celia has partaken in various conferences, both locally and internationally, such as PRTESOL, Coloquio de Mujeres, International Auto/Biography Association, and Popular Culture Association. Some of her literary works have been published in literary magazines such as Sábanas Magazine and El Vicio del Tintero. For the first time, one of her research papers has been recently published in the Journal of Modern Education Review. Her areas of interest include Caribbean and children’s literature, Caribbean women’s poetry, intersectionality, post-colonialism, and decolonization.
English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.