“Barlovento”: Get Ready to Dance to Bairoa’s Sexy Soundscapes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

For the past few years, Buscabulla has been one of the best groups to come out of Puerto Rico’s indie music scene from the island and the diaspora, to the point where they are now going to perform in the 2018 edition of the Coachella Music Festival. Earlier this year, one of the group’s members, Luis Valentín, better known as Bairoa, released his debut EP Barlovento. The short 17-minute project demonstrates Valentín’s musical tastes while providing a sexy laid-back dance environment.

(artwork for Barlovento by Nosotrus)

Led by songs like “Champagne Daze”, it is easy to see why Remezcla would name Bairoa “Prince’s Long-Lost Puerto Rican Love Child.” The tune is a fantastic pop-disco track, which features a beautifully memorable saxophone in the background. Meanwhile, a track like “Sixteen Candles” is a fantastic mixture of 1980s saxophone and R&B while also providing some Caribbean flavor that will enchant listeners and take them back to prom memories or a simple escape out of the real world.

(Bairoa artwork by Nosotrus)

Bairoa’s first project is merely an introduction to the artist and one of the flaws that many might find with it is that it can be too reminiscent of the 1980s. This brings the question of how he will eventually evolve and outgrow the sound. However, with the variety of sounds found in the field of electronic music, it is hard to see Bairoa getting stuck with only one genre. Thus, while this EP is still fresh, it makes the listener anticipate the artist’s growth in the next project.

(Bairoa artwork by Nosotrus)

With Barlovento, Bairoa demonstrates his ability to provide a tight and concise project. Though short in length, Barlovento has a heavy replay value which will make it last. While Barlovento’s 1980s influence might bring questions as to how Bairoa will evolve in the future, it is safe to say that the different soundscapes found within this project show a bright and, possibly, experimental future. Furthermore, the EP demonstrates the artist’s potential to make a full-length album. In sum, Barlovento is a fantastic project that will have listeners dancing at shows and parties, chilling in their studies or work places and, possibly, spending a great time in bed.

Listen to Barlovento on Spotify

Fernando E. E. Correa González is the author behind over 20 self-published poetry books. He has been published by literary magazines & journals [Id]entidad, El Vicio del Tintero, Sábanas Magazine, Smaeralit and Tonguas. Other than writing, Correa is also a filmmaker, podcaster, photographer and master’s student. He currently lives in his native Puerto Rico.
English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.