alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

“Ay Lili”: El Show de los Mocosos Return with a Homage to Luis Pescetti

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

If there is something the independent music scene in Puerto Rico has shown audiences is its diversity. From hip-hop artists like Negro Gonzalez and Jose Yellow, to salsa orchestras with Orquesta El Macabeo, and rock groups like Dan Siego and Campo-Formio, the movement has shown its multiple voices from all parts of the island. However, one band that has taken a unique approach is El Show de los Mocosos. The ska-punk ensemble made up of musicians, actors, and clowns target  people from the ages of “0 al 100” (0 to 100) by delivering comedic tracks, which tell stories usually from a child’s point-of-view. After releasing their debut album El Show de los Mocosos in 2016, the band has come back with a cover of Ay Lili, a love song made famous by Argentinian Luis Pescetti.

(cover art for “Ay Lili” as found on Los Mocosos’ Facebook page)

Los Mocosos’ debut album featured a wide variety of stories. Among them were “Zombie Video Juego” about a kid who’s addicted to video games, “El Dolor de Muelas” about kids’ first experiences with cavities, and “La Bicicleta” about the love one develops for their first bicycle. In “Ay Lili”, the ska-punk tells the narrative of a boy who’s so in love with a girl that he “pisses himself.” It is a tale about first love and how lost one can be in this stage in their lives. However, while Luis Pescetti’s original version was usually performed with an acoustic guitar, the album version takes a different approach.

(picture of Los Mocosos in the most recent edition of Festival de Claridad as found on their Facebook page)

Known for their mixture of ska-punk and circus sounds, El Show de los Mocosos’ cover of the Luis Pescetti classic is a more energetic and upbeat track. In their version of “Ay Lili”, the group takes the point-of-view of a child and expands on it as lead singer Yussef Soto flexes his voice in such a way that he sounds like the tune’s protagonist. The song, and their recent presentation in the latest edition of Festival de Claridad, is definitely a great way for Los Mocosos to start their 2018 and, what can possibly be, the promotion for a new project.

El Show de los Mocosos is definitely a group that demonstrates the diversity in Puerto Rico’s independent music scene. Their blend of ska-punk with circus and clown performance is a fantastic way to gather audiences of all ages, and their version of Luis Pescetti’s “Ay Lili” is another piece of evidence to combine these two elements. Moreover, with this cover they display their ability to perform love songs and their skills to make completely original tunes out of already successful tracks.

Listen to “Ay Lili” on YouTube here

Fernando E. E. Correa González is the author behind over 20 self-published poetry books. He has been published by literary magazines & journals [Id]entidad, El Vicio del Tintero, Sábanas Magazine, Smaeralit and Tonguas. Other than writing, Correa is also a filmmaker, podcaster, photographer and master’s student. He currently lives in his native Puerto Rico.
English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.