This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

After 10 years as the lead singer of rap group Calle 13, Residente embarked on a world wide trip driven by his DNA. The 25-time Grammy Award winner created an album based on the composition of his genetic material and heritage. After visiting Siberia, Caucasus, China, Africa and finally Puerto Rico, Residente concocted his first solo album titled Residente.

Released on March 31st, Residente features 13 songs with his signature satirical, deep and conscious lyrics that makes you not only sing but understand his view of life. With an intro rapped by Lin-Manuel Miranda, the genius behind the critically acclaimed Hamilton, you embark on Residente’s journey around the world starting in Siberia and  with ending in Puerto Rico. With songs like “Guerra,” “Apocalíptico,” “Milo” and “Hijos del Cañaveral” you get a perspective of his experiences as a refugee, father and Puerto Rican but overall his human quest for identity and belonging in a world characterized and driven by racial, economic and gender divide.  

Image via Remezcla.

Residente’s new album not only offers a view of his life and perspective but also a vibrant new album that will surely win him Grammys in multiple categories and secure his place in the musical history of Puerto Rico and the world.

Some say I'm crazy I just see the world differently. Not really into sports, really into thought and science.
Her Campus at UPRM