alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

9 Mantras for the Heart

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

You’ve probably heard of the mantra “Om,” repeated by yoga practitioners or yogis, specifically (or especially) while meditating. This has several meditative purposes such as relaxation. The vibration produced by making the “om” sound helps to focus exclusively on the breath. “Om” is not the only mantra; there are many more that one can choose for for meditating. Like coffee, everybody takes it differently and it doesn’t affect everyone equally. Remember that meditating can be as simple as breathing deeply and steadily and focusing your mind on your breathing, or keeping your mind blank or focusing on a figure in front of you. There are other methods like Kundalini, mindfulness and body scans. So in mantras, you’ve got to choose the one that works for you:

1. “I am that I am.”

Or “So Hum” in Sanskrit, reminds us that we are part of the collective and that we’re not alone. You can start your meditation repeating this phrase or maintain it throughout.

2. “I am at peace.”

3. “I am a magnet for miracles.”

Recall how your coming to life was a miracle. Dwell on the magic involved in that.

4. “I am aware.”

This means that you are fully aware of your body, mind and their union. Being aware opens the doors to more mental and physical capacities and higher levels of consciousness.

5. “I am awake.”

Being awake means that you are living with purpose and following your truth. This makes it possible to change how you want to change as a person and by doing this, you are fully present and living through each breath, each kiss, the softest wind in your hair, and the coldest drink.

6. “I am energy.”

We might look normal on the outside, but there’s really no limit to what our minds and hearts are capable of.

7. “I am the light and the light is in me.”

You are one with the Universe and the Universe is in you. You are part of the collective where everyone has that “light” or “soul” within themselves. This mantra helps us relate and connect more to others.

8. “I am love.”

Not only are you made of light, but you are made of love also! It makes sense how “love makes the world go ‘round.” Meditation isn’t only for relaxing the mind; it can also be for the heart, for feeling loved and releasing love into the world. Meditate with your hands placed on top of your heart and focus on the feeling of producing love, freeing it and receiving it with each heartbeat.

9. “I amplify in stillness.”

Indulge your mind and body in being still. It’s a stressful life we collegiettes lead, so it’s nice to set some time aside each week, sit and meditate for a couple of minutes. Another choice is to sit down while enjoying a cup of tea, coffee, or chocolate and just drink it, maybe with a nice book on your lap. What I am saying is: take a break.

Author of "Partida en Dos," a self-published poetry book, and also published writer featured in magazines such as Sábanas, El Vicio del Tintero, Emily, and the Anthology of the Revolutionary Alliance. Bachelor student of English Literature and minors in Comparative Literature and Teacher Preparation. Born and raised in the West of Puerto Rico, artist, dancer, tree-hugger and animal rights activist. 
English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.