7 Reasons Why Puerto Rico is the Best Place to Spend Christmas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

By Zamayra Colón 

1. Decorations that last all year!

First of all I must explain that as soon Thanksgiving is over, Christmas begins here and people decorate everywhere. Though my mom is one of those who decorate even before Thanksgiving. And even after it ends, people still leave the lights on top of their houses for next year.

2. Endless holidays and parties

A whole month of vacation as well as a whole month of partying, due to our many celebrations: Christmas, New Year’s, Three Kings Day, and the “Octavitas”.

3. So. Many. Presents.

Since we not only celebrate Christmas Day with Santa Claus, but Three Kings Day as well, we get double the presents!

4. The holidays are basically a 40-day food coma.

I kid you not when I say Christmas feasts here are bigger than the ones made in Thanksgiving. Lechón asado, arroz con gandules, ensalada de papas, coditos, flan, pollo, pasteles, tembleque….you name it; we got it.

5. Endless coquito!

Honestly, Christmas without coquito is not Christmas.

6. Parrandas > any other kind of party

A tradition that is a bit forgotten in Puerto Rico are the “parrandas”, in which a group of people go house to house, of family and friends to sing songs. It’s similar to Christmas carols, but ouder and with more beat. This is all due to the instruments we have like the guitar, the cuatro, panderetas, campana, maracas, palitos, güiro, and last but not least, “pleneras.”

7. And, of course, the real reason for the holidays: family time

We may not see each other in the year thanks to our studies, work, or even how far away we live from each other, but it’s a promise that in the holidays all family members come together to celebrate this wonderful holiday.

Her Campus at UPRM
Claudia is a witchy English Literature and International Affairs major from La Parguera. She's worked in various on-campus projects, such as the MayaWest Writing Project and as a tutor at the English Writing Center. In addition, she's worked at Univision and has also been published in El Nuevo Día and El Post Antillano. When she doesn't have her nose in a book, you can find Claudia tweeting something snarky and pushing boundaries as a Beyoncé expert. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram, @clauuia.