6 Lessons I Learned During Junior Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

These last three years as a Colegio student have been full of lessons, not only as a student, but also as a person. Throughout my time here, I’ve gone from being a very shy and to herself kinda gal, to a somewhat out of her shell social kinda person. If you met me three years ago and know me as the person I am know you would know the impact Colegio has had on me, here are some of the things I have learned that can help you break out of your shell as well.

1. It’s important to challenge yourself

It’s not about being “good enough,” it’s about working hard enough for what you want. Don’t deny yourself the opportunity to find ways to improve and challenge yourself by thinking, “I’m not good enough for that, I shouldn’t even try,” and just do it.

2. A diploma isn’t the only goal

College is a place where we make lifelong friendships, acquire skills for a future job and learn about our future careers. But having a social life and participating in other campus activities is important as well, a balance in college life is everything. It’s not about taking just four years to graduate, it’s about making the most out of whatever time you take to graduate.

3. Say “yes” more

There’s a saying, “life begins at the end of your comfort zone,” there’s a reason for it. Nothing much will change if you keep yourself hidden from the world.

4. Don’t be afraid

Challenges? You can take on the world if you work and want it hard enough. Change? Nothing good ever come from being stuck in the same place. People? No le cabes por la boca a nadie.

5. Keep your eyes wide open

Keep your mind and eyes on what YOU want to achieve in your life and don’t let anyone or anything stand between you and your goals.

6. Learn who to trust–beginning with yourself

If Zayn Malik was able to pretend he was happy for five years in One Direction, anyone can be just as deceiving. Some people in college befriend us in case they can use us as a ladder or as a step for their career or social circle. Be very careful who you trust because not everyone has the same good intentions you might have.

English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM. 
Her Campus at UPRM