5 Quick Reads For the Busy Bookworm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

1. More Than This by Patrick Ness

From the author who published The Knife of Never Letting GoA Monster CallsThe New World, among others, More Than This is a truly compelling and provocative novel. Right from the start it catches your attention with its protagonist, who throws himself into the crashing sea waves to die–except he wakes up again, alone in his childhood home with no one else around. Between wandering around and wandering thoughts, the protagonist leads us to an eerie revelation of a dystopian society that may not be that far-fetched from reality. This young adult novel is mind-blowing and it will surprise you on every chapter. Just when you think you know what’s happening, something unexpected happens.

Rated: 4.04/5 stars on Goodreads.

2. Dirty Pretty Things by Michael Faudet

Through pages full of poetry, quotes and short stories on the topics of love, sex and loss, Faudet creates whimsical and erotic writing, perfectly read by candle-light. It’s a fast read that captures you at every line. Some pages only have three lines of text but they are always charged with sentiment. It’s a daring read that will make you blush in public.

Rated 3.88/5 stars on Goodreads. Here’s an excerpt, titled “Sunday Epiphany”

3. Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Told in journal entries, this book marks the events that take place after a meteor knocked the moon closer to Earth. Worldwide tsunamis, never-before-felt shattering earthquakes, an arctic winter in the middle of summer, decreasing amounts of food and decaying hope make for a really good story on a dystopian future. It will be a book that won’t leave you alone until you finish it.

Rated 3.86/5 stars on Goodreads, Life as We Knew It is the first book of the Last Survivors series.

4. The Siren by Kiera Cass

With this book, Cass offers a complete different perspective on the romanticized mermaids that will make you feel connected to the sea as never before. It personifies the sea as an all-knowing entity that also makes human mistakes. Characterized by her book, The Selection, Cass writes a romantic novel in three senses: romantic love, the love between sisters and the love between humans and nature. Cass will capture your heart and your mind with this great read.

Rated 3.79/5 stars on Goodreads.

5. Gift from the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Originally published in 1955, Lindbergh’s collection of essays, all related to the sea, tackle various problems of living in society, especially as a woman. The range of topics include love, marriage, solitude, loneliness and aging. As it says in the introduction written by Lindbergh’s daughter, you can open the book to any page and you’ll find something applicable to your life or daily strife.

Author of "Partida en Dos," a self-published poetry book, and also published writer featured in magazines such as Sábanas, El Vicio del Tintero, Emily, and the Anthology of the Revolutionary Alliance. Bachelor student of English Literature and minors in Comparative Literature and Teacher Preparation. Born and raised in the West of Puerto Rico, artist, dancer, tree-hugger and animal rights activist. 
Her Campus at UPRM