rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

August came and went and September is officially here. Professors are comfortable enough to start crowding us with what feels like tons of work, our bodies are starting to feel heavy and slow, and everything is piling up on us. Between work, commute, parking, the crazy heat that won’t ease up, and studies, stress comes creeping by as if it was the Cookie Monster and we were the cookie. However, it’s not that hard to knock ourselves out of the almost-midterm- stress. Here are some simple yet effective ways to fight back stress:

1. Prepare for next morning on the night before.

2. Wear fresh clothes.

3. Say “no” more often.

4. Prioritize.

5. Avoid negative people.

6. Don’t be afraid to ask for help.

7. Break large tasks into bite sized portions.

8. Anticipate your needs and take care of them.

9. Unclutter and do some always useful spring cleaning (even if it’s almost fall).

10. Be prepared for rain.

11. Schedule some down time every day.

12. Say “hello” to a stranger—don’t shut yourself in.

13. Look up at the stars.

14. Believe in yourself.

15. Practice breathing slowly. Count to five as you inhale, and exhale to the count of five as well. The slower the breath, the deeper the relaxation.

16. Stop saying or thinking that tomorrow will be a better day—make the best out of TODAY.

17. Do it today.

18. Stretch your limits a little each day.

19. Exercise every day. Maybe a little jog, some cardio in your room, or even a 20-minute yoga practice can do wonders. Exercise releases endorphins! There are excellent YouTube videos on yoga classes, pilates, etc.

20. Take a stretch.

21. Drink a cup of tea with a little bit of honey.

22. Strive for excellence, NOT perfection.

23. Remember you always have options.

Remember that stress is only an attitude and, like every other thing, it’s temporary. Experiment and find the key methods to help yourself so that you can be happier and healthier, do better professionally and academically, and live a fuller life.

Author of "Partida en Dos," a self-published poetry book, and also published writer featured in magazines such as Sábanas, El Vicio del Tintero, Emily, and the Anthology of the Revolutionary Alliance. Bachelor student of English Literature and minors in Comparative Literature and Teacher Preparation. Born and raised in the West of Puerto Rico, artist, dancer, tree-hugger and animal rights activist. 
Jennifer Mojica Santana is an undergraduate student at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez Campus (UPRM). She is currently pursuing a degree in English with a concentration in Literature, and minor studies in Project Management and Writing and Communications. Mojica Santana has written for UPRM's chapter of the online magazine Her Campus since March 2015. She served as the chapter's Senior Editor from January 2016 through May 2016. From June 2016 through October 2017, Mojica Santana was the chapter's co-Campus Correspondent and co-Editor-in-Chief. During the summer of 2917, she conducted research at Brown University. Currently, she is a visiting student at Brown University.