14 Signs You’re a UPRM Prepa

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

You know you’re a prepa, but you let others know you’re a prepa by…

1.      Walking around with your EDFI uniform all over campus.

2.      Wearing your Colegio t-shirts to class.

In case you are wondering, you aren’t blending in at all. 

3.      Wearing your senior class t-shirt to class.

Have you no shame?

4.      Uttering any version of: “Acho! My precalculus class is a piece of cake!”

Please stop and wait till your first colgá. Then we’ll talk.

5.      Asking for directions around campus:

An innocent mistake. Some upperclassmen are helpful, but others enjoy hazing freshmen. Look for your classrooms during prepa week before classes start, and if you don’t have the time, ask wisely!

6.      Saying out-of-place comments during class.

Amusing in high school, annoying and inappropiate in college. Please settle down, and consider tweeting it instead.

7.      Asking the professor for permission to go to the bathroom.

STOP, DROP AND ROLL.

8.      Talking about your “crazy” jangueo…very loudly…

in the hallway.

9.       Wearing your nicest outfit to go hang out en la calle.

Heels + contouring + la plancha + Mayagüez’s humidity and potholes = a disaster waiting to happen.

10.  Hanging with your High School squad all day in the cafeteria.

And don’t say it’s because you guys actually enjoy the food or find it cheaper than someplace else. Don’t kid yourself.

11.   Parading your green Colegio umbrella around whilst running between classes

Rain is inevitable in Mayagüez, so invest in a durable umbrella instead of scrambling to the campus shop to buy this flashing prepa sign!

12.   Actually running to class

Take it easy, man. The professor’s probably late too.

13.   Carrying your lab coat in any other way that isn’t hiding it in the bottom of your book bag.

Fact: I once saw a prepa carry his pristinely white, so-crisp-it-could-give-you-a-papercut labcoat in a laundry bag and I think I almost died.

14.              Walking around campus with your matrícula on hand

Pro-tip: take a screenshot and look at it on your phone instead! Don’t have a smartphone? Write the classroom number on the notebook you’ll use for X class.

You’re welcome.

Claudia is a witchy English Literature and International Affairs major from La Parguera. She's worked in various on-campus projects, such as the MayaWest Writing Project and as a tutor at the English Writing Center. In addition, she's worked at Univision and has also been published in El Nuevo Día and El Post Antillano. When she doesn't have her nose in a book, you can find Claudia tweeting something snarky and pushing boundaries as a Beyoncé expert. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram, @clauuia.
Her Campus at UPRM