13 Vegetarian Restaurants In and Around Mayagüez

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Lejaim Veg Food

Located in San Germán, this restaurant deviates from our usual univeristy route in Mayagüez, but it is totally worth it. Their menu is 100% vegetarian with tons of vegan options like hot dogs, burgers, tacos, quesadillas, wraps, and pizzas.

Friend’s Café

This one is a few minutes’ drive from campus, at el Litoral.  From waffles to veggie wraps and sandwiches, to spinach empanadas and desserts. Plus, the coffee is an added bonus and, for the vegans, there is soy and almond milk!

Merendola

My personal favorite are the Campesino and Caprese sandwich and bagel options. The Campesino is perfect for vegans because it doesn’t include cheese or mayo, just avocado, pesto, tomato, hummus, onions and salad. There are also a variety of breakfast menu options that are vegetarian. The coffee, again, is specially prepared by a barista with the option to change regular milk for soy or almond.  

Aquí Latte

The menu isn’t exactly the most vegetarian, but they will make you a mean veggie wrap. Oftentimes, in their Menu of the Day they will include items like quinoa salad or veggie trio tacos.

Happy Bowls

You can always get a vegetarian hummus wrap, quesadillas, veggie nachos and, of course, their signature açai bowls!

Green Bowls

This one is also a little far from Mayagüez, but after a 20 minute drive to Cabo Rojo, you can enjoy quinoa burgers, tofu/quinoa/veggie patty tacos, salads, wraps, quesadillas, pizzas, and açai bowls. All of the menu options are adaptable to both vegetarian and vegan diets.

Massa Artisan Bakery and Café

Super close to campus, Massa is known for their amazing coffee. Their lunch menu will usually include some vegetarian items and you can always get a Massa Veggie which contains salad, tomato, peppers, onions, mushrooms, dressing and mozzarella cheese. They usually have a chef that may be able to whip up special requests!

Casiano’s Chicken and Ribs 

Don’t let the name fool you! While Casiano’s is technically a steakhouse, they have a variety of vegetarian-friendly options. Their rice and beans with mofongo is one of the best I’ve ever had. They also have a variety of sides so you can create your own dish for a moderate price.

Café 413

A little more of a hike, this one is in Rincón. It’s perfect for breakfast during your weekend getaway. Maybe you come up to the town for the beautiful beaches during spring break. Whatever the case, the Café 413 has incredible vegetarian options, amazing coffee, and a killer brunch menu!

El Mesón Sandwiches 

Like Subway, but Puerto Rican, this one is near campus. One of the things I love about this fast food chain restaurant is that they have a spot on the menu especially for vegetarian options, from veggie patty sandwiches to loaded vegetable baked potatoes, you are sure to find something to fill you up in between classes.

Subway

There’s vegetable and veggie patty sandwiches, wraps, and pizzas. In the Subway tradition, you can chose exactly what you want and don’t want in your food!

Kilatas Grill

This place in Miradero, Mayagüez has a killer veggie burger. There’s also french fries and nachos with cheese, pico de gallo, and sour cream!

Chillis

Almost any dish at Chillis can be turned vegetarian. Some of my favorites are the Margarita Bowl with broccoli and mushrooms. The California Flatbread can also be done with broccoli and mushrooms and the Vegetable Fajitas are also incredible.

Undergraduate psychology major with a passion for art. Loves traveling and spreading her creative spirit!
Former Chief Editor and Campus Correspondent at the Her Campus UPRM chapter of the University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez. Writing in NYC, living the dream.