10 Positive Affirmations For Any Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

With something as a simple deep breath before going onstage for a presentation, or saying “you got this” to yourself as you’re going on a date after a long dry spell, you are already doing an affirmation. In a nutshell, an affirmation is basically telling yourself something, being your own push and taking that breath before the plunge. Right now in Post-Maria Puerto Rico, we could use some pat-in-the-back affirmations. Here are some affirmations for any day and any moment of the day:

1. “I am the creator of my own positive energy.”

This basically puts you on a pedestal, and it isn’t pretentious at all. We live in a society where, if you like yourself, that makes you a narcissist, but reality lies within. By accepting and loving every aspect of yourself, you’re creating a ripple effect for healthy changes. In order to do your role in society you have to love yourself. In order to make a change in the world you have to love yourself. I always remember that advice my aunt gave me: “You’ve got to love yourself fully before even thinking about loving someone else.”

2. “I release all drama from my life and now get energy from peace.” – Cheryl Richardson

Take a moment from your life to breathe deeply and exhale fully. Calm your mind for a couple of minutes and transform yourself into the peace you’re trying to find externally.

3. “All things I seek are now seeking me.” – Florence Scovel Shinn

Think about the law of attraction. If you want happiness, it will come to you. If you want that dream job, work towards it and be positive that it will come to you. If you always remember how your life, like all others, are part of the ever-rippling Universe, you’ll find a way to attract those things you seek, to yourself.

4. “I am here to prove it to myself.”

Don’t make the mistake of comparing yourself to others. You are the epitome of uniqueness. Don’t sacrifice that just to “fit in.” Enjoy standing out in a crowd and being your own competition!

5. “I am Power.”

Be your own Joan of Arc or Malala! We all have the capacity for greatness.

6. “I am worthy of my dreams.”

Never undermine your dreams and desires just because they seem small. There is no such thing as a dream “too small” or “too big” as long as you’re changing someone’s world, even your own.

7. “I am always changing.”

We are creatures that evolve and adapt to whatever life throws our way. You are not short limbed to think yourself a dinosaur destined to eternal extinction.

8. “Unexpected doors fly open, unexpected channels are free, and endless avalanches of abundance are poured out upon me, under grace in perfect ways” -Florence Scovel Shinn

Everything happens for a reason. I don’t mean that your life is tied to a predestined fate. But the Universe works in mysterious ways, just as Nature does. Remember that even though we live in a technological era, we are still part of Nature; we came from the very unexpected Nature.

9. “I do not resist this situation. I put it in the hands of Infinite Love and Wisdom. Let the Divine idea now come to pass.” -Florence Scovel Shinn

Surrender. Trust the Universe and that it will unfold in positive ways and while you’re at it, exercise a bit of the law of attraction.

10. “I am complete, I am whole; within me is all I seek.”

We are all linked to the Universe. Affirmations sometimes are akin to yogic mantras, which allude to how the Self is already connected to the Source. Think that the Universe is one huge ball of energy – like a soul, and each of us has a tiny ball of energy made of the same stuff of that Universal one. Think of that union and how you already have everything you need within yourself.

Author of "Partida en Dos," a self-published poetry book, and also published writer featured in magazines such as Sábanas, El Vicio del Tintero, Emily, and the Anthology of the Revolutionary Alliance. Bachelor student of English Literature and minors in Comparative Literature and Teacher Preparation. Born and raised in the West of Puerto Rico, artist, dancer, tree-hugger and animal rights activist. 
English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.