#TalentoLocal: Vino Pa’ Quedarse Coffee Shop Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Our interview at Vino Pa’ Quedarse Coffee Shop was great. The owners were incredibly nice, and they answered all of our questions without hesitation. You can find that interview here. We also had the chance to try some of their menu items, and we are here to tell you what we think!

Ambiance

The inside of the pseudo food-truck is small, but it manages to feel cozy instead of entirely cramped. They had booths and a long table area that faces outwards. It is brightly lit, and it has an air conditioner that maintains the area at just the right temperature. The staff, as we said before, are incredibly nice. They smile a lot, look to converse with you, and just have this warm feeling to them. It really does feel like a family-run business, small, but sure to welcome you with open arms.

Coffee

Their coffee is a special blend called Latitud 18. This Puerto Rican coffee is made in smaller batches than bigger brand names like Yaucono or Gustos, but it delivers a flavor that is sure to give the big brand names a run for their money. At the moment, it is only being sold at locations near Levittown, as it has not yet migrated to the metropolitan area of Puerto Rico. It is a medium roast with a deep delicious fragrance. It is not a bitter coffee, which is why Luna thinks that it is as great as an Americano, where you can indulge in the taste of the coffee itself. You can find out more about this coffee here.

Frances had what the menu calls the iced caramel. It is actually more of a frappe than an iced coffee. This iced drink has great taste; the coffee and caramel mix serve to complement each other well. Unlike other iced or frappe coffees in which either the coffee or the caramel overpowers the taste in general, it had a perfectly balanced flavor without being overly sweet. On top of that, this coffee is topped with the creamiest whip cream that will have you in love. Just make sure to mix it in when you are about halfway through so as to not end up with all the whip cream at the bottom of the cup when you are done.

Food

The owners of the establishment were kind enough to let us try some of their dishes. They gave us their pulled pork sliders, pastrami sandwich, media noche sandwich, and brioche french toast with fruit.

Pulled Pork Sliders

This dish is a trio of mini burgers, although they are not that small. They are made with pulled pork, coleslaw, and brioche bread. They are $7.

“Honestly, I really liked these. They are yummy and filling without stuffing you. I really liked the salty of the pork combined with the sweet of the brioche bread. I definitely would eat these sandwiches again.”

– Luna

“The brioche bread was a very refreshing bread choice for the pulled pork sliders. The pork tasted great and was seasoned perfectly in order for the saltiness to not to overpower the taste of the bread. It is a great plate to share when you are not super hungry but still want something that is more of a meal than a snack.”

– Frances

Media Noche Sandwich

This sandwich is made with pernil, ham, pickles, mustard, mayonnaise and& swiss cheese. It goes for $8.

“Wow. Wow. Wow. I’ve never loved media noche’s but wow. I am speechless before this sandwich. It is so delicious, like my mouth is watering while I write this. I don’t even like pickles, but they added this tangy flavor that added contrast to the softer gooey flavors of the mayo but complimented the mustard just right. The ham was so good. It wasn’t a salty mess or anything. Honestly, I loved this sandwich. Also, it’s a big serving! Like, I ate one-third of it and still felt fulfilled. This was my favorite of the things we tried!”

– Luna

“It was so good. I usually ask for no mayo when I order sandwiches because there is a tendency to add too much mayo in them. However, the combination of the mayo with the mustard and the cheese created a great creamy blend that tasted amazing. Media Noches are one of my go to’s when I eat sandwiches because they are simple, but their version of it is really a step up. Definitely would recommend.”

-Frances

Pastrami

This delicious and shop favorite is made with pastrami, swiss cheese, mayonnaise, ketchup, and mustard. It costs $7.

“I would have never thought a pastrami sandwich could taste this good. I’m not blindly complimenting them either. The meat inside the sandwich was perfectly tender, and now chewy or gummy in any way. The pastrami is of good quality, and, frankly, it’s delicious.”

-Luna

“I rarely have pastrami when I go out because when I eat anything pastrami related it has to be made by my dad when he makes sandwiches or breakfast at his house. That said, their pastrami was heaven. Like the medianoche, the mayo, cheese, and mustard mixed great, and though I am a big ketchup hater, it didn’t bother me at all. This is definitely what I’ll order when I go again.”

– Frances

French Toast

All of their french toasts include eggs, bacon or jam, Nutella, fruits and whipped cream. They are $8.

“I’ve seen just plain french toasts go for a lot more at other coffee shops, and these are eight dollars with eggs, a choice of meat, fruit, and whipped cream. Overall, I feel like their prices are fair, especially when you compare them to other coffee shops and their prices. Their servings are big.”

-Luna

“The french toast delivered the sweetness I was really needing after trying the sandwiches! The Nutella is a predictable move but one that is determined by demand and a lot of people love Nutella. The fruits were fresh and made me feel as if I was having fruit that came directly from nature. Topped with the whipped cream that definitely does NOT come from a can, it was perfect coordination of artificial and natural sweetness.”

-Frances

We really would come back to this awesome coffee shop. Go try it out and let us know what you think!

Antoinette Luna is a Performance Studies and Comparative Literature major at the UPR. Her passions include writing, reading, and anything crafty. She loves to sew, write, and make things from scratch. DIY is the name of her game. Around campus, she is known as a bubbly young woman who goes by just Luna. Her future goals include traveling, traveling, and more traveling. Outspoken transfeminist, and wannabe activist, she's out to set fires.
Frances Rosado Malave is an undergraduate English Literature student at the University of Puerto Rico Rio Piedras campus. Her urge to read in the original language things are written and the potential of translating her own written works lead her to add a second concentration in Modern Languages even if it meant adding a year to her academic sentence. When not on campus she can be found stressing over her work load while she sews, crochets and goes about her daily life like there isn't a deadline creeping up. To her, balance is key and anything can be achieved as long as we are balanced with ourselves and the things we need to do.