This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

On May 18, 2018, another school shooting has taken over news broadcasts. The Google alert called it the “Santa Fe shooting” and has established it as an SOS alert. CNN is one to report that at least 8 have been declared dead, most of which were students. 12 are being treated at nearby hospitals, witnesses’ testimonies going as far as to say that they saw a young girl being shot in the leg during an art class as the shooter opened fire within the classroom. Another source has declared that 10 are dead—9 were students and one was a teacher—with another ten injured. First, a 17-year-old male and another unidentified male, both students at the school victim of the crime, have been taken into custody as suspects. Later, the shooter was identified as the very 17-year-old named Dimitrios Pagourtzis.

The number of injured and those killed keeps rising as time passes, and as much as one officer has been injured. The shooter had used a shotgun and a .38 revolver that had been hidden under his long coat. It was also stated that after the shooting, he planned to commit suicide, but did not follow through with this. Instead, he gave himself up. Besides the shooting itself, explosives were presumably found in and near the school grounds. Following this, the President has released a statement over the incident.

Democrats like Governor Andrew M. Cuomo and Bernie Sanders are urging Congress and the President to finally stand up to the NRA and request gun control.

Once hearing of today’s event, some might remember that it has been three months since the travesty that was the Parkland school shooting, and Congress has yet to take full action over gun laws. 

Image Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5

Born and raised in Puerto Rico, Josie is a senior in the UPR-Río Piedras campus, majoring in English Literature. When she's not on campus, you can find her browsing a bookstore (as if her TBR pile isn't big enough already!). Books and writing are what drives this girl--apart from fighting to destigmatize mental illnesses and raising awareness about the importance of consent. Josie enjoys traveling, bingeing on spicy food and a lot of sweets, blasting Bieber, and adding shows or movies to her Netflix queue that she'll never get to. Josie is a junior editor for the Rio Piedras chapter in Puerto Rico. If you want to see what else Josie is up to, you can catch her on her bookstagram.