Sex Talk: Birth Control

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Sex is one of the most important, yet the less talked about topics. According to statistics in the American Sexual Health Association, women become sexually active by the time they are 16. More than half of all active people will accquire an STD/STI at some point in their lifetime. Therefore, as girls become sexually active, birth control options are a priority. If we don’t talk about birth control at the right time, it can lead to huge consequences. STD’s and unwanted pregnancies could happen, changing our lives completely. In 2008, there was an estimated 110 million prevalent STIs among women and men in the U.S.A. Of these, more than 20% (22.1 million) were among men and women aged 15 to 24 years. So, as responsible college students, we should know all the choices of birth control available to us. Trust is a very complicated concept when it come to sex, we cannot trust just anybody with it. “Being sexual with someone also carries risks—risk of rejection, of unwanted pregnancy, of contracting a sexually transmitted disease/infection (STD/STI), or even a simple cold. Being sexual also can provide many physical, emotional, and spiritual benefits, including physical fitness, emotional bonding, and a feeling of spiritual connection.

We all learned in middle school that abstinence is the best choice. And depending on the person, it is true. But let’s be realistic; how many people really stick with abstinence? So, hopefully this informative article helps each and every one of you girls out there to learn all of the birth control choices available in the market that really work when you are sexually active. Also, we like to keep you informed you about all of the “woman friendly” apps when it come to birth control

1. IUD’s

This is one of the best choices available, there’s to two options: a. Plastic

b.  Copper

1. Birth control pills 

2. Women’s condoms or just regular condoms

If you’re ready to start using or change your birth control “system,” make sure to go to your gynecologist and discuss your options. Remember, you can always trust yourself when it comes to sex. Be wise, be smart, get protected! 

Source- American Sexual Health Association  

p.s – If after this you’ll still confused about sexuality or birth control issues John Oliver has a very helpful show dedicated to it. Make sure to watch it and learn, so…have fun!

http://youtu.be/L0jQz6jqQS0

Krizia Cantres Cintron is an Advertising and Public Relation student with a minor in Social Science at the University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras Campus. She's currently an intern at the UPR newspaper, Dialogo. Krizia is a funny young lady that loves to sing and dance, also crazy for high fashion and everything related to the show bussiness.