This Self-Exam Could Save Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Every year in the United States, over 200,000 people are diagnosed with breast cancer. Every woman is at risk for developing breast cancer, and, even if the exact causes are unknown, this risk increases with age. That is why it is recommended for women to undergo a mammogram every three years after turning 20 and every year after turning 40.

The breast cancer self-exam is by no means considered to be a replacement for a woman’s routine mammogram. It can, however, be a useful tool in between mammograms to detect any changes. By self-examining frequently, you will be able to know what is normal in your body and recognized any change that could suggest breast cancer. Early detection can increase the amount treatment possibilities and a greater chance of survival. It’s also important to keep in mind if your family has a history of breast cancer. 

When doing the breast cancer self-exam, try to identify changes such as:

• Lumps, hard knots or thickening
  • Swelling, warmth, redness, or darkening of the breast
  • Changes in size or shape of breast
  • Dimpling or puckering of skin
  • Itchy, scaly sores or rash on nipples
  • Nipple discharge that starts suddenly
  • Pain in one spot that doesn’t go away

A breast self-exam includes looking and feeling. Here’s a simple guide to do it:

1. Look at yourself in the mirror in four different positions:
  • With your arms by your side
  •  Holding your arms over your head
  • Pressing your hands on your hips
  • And bending forward with your hands on your hips
  1. Lay down on your bed and put a small pillow under your shoulder. Stand your arm out on an angle. Use your left hand to exam your right breast.
  2. Use the pads of three middle fingers, and move your fingers in little circles using light, medium and deep pressure to check your breast.
  3. Go up and down in strips until you check your entire breast from the collar bone to the bra line and from the armpit to the breast bone.
  4. Remember to also examine your underarms.
  5. Repeat the same process on the other breast.

Disclaimer: A self-exam is a tool for early detention but never a substitute for a mammogram. If you see any changes in or on your breast, visit your doctor for a complete evaluation.

Source: ww5.komen.org

**Image from Google.