This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

The fundraising event that inspired various Taylor Swift tunes in her recent album is back for another year. This year’s MET Ball theme was “Heavenly Bodies – Fashion and the Catholic Imagination.” This was my first time keeping up with the event live, and it was definitely a whirlwind of dresses and suits. The amount of detail on the outfits was breathtaking. Some of the outfits were shocking and glam while others were upsettingly underwhelming.

One thing I am familiar with when it comes to the MET Gala is the reaction of Twitter users’ in regards to whether celebrities are sticking to the theme or not. Fortunately, this year there were many contenders, which made it very difficult to pick our favorites, but in the end, only these made the cut for our top five!

5. Lana Del Rey

Lana Del Rey killed it with her representation of the Virgin Mary and the seven swords. Here she is accompanied by Jared Leto and Alessandro Michele. If they ever were to give an example of how to honor this year’s theme, this image would have been used.

4. Rihanna

The queen of the MET definitely spiced it up in this highly-detailed piece. Her entire outfit clearly takes inspiration from the traditional garments of the Pope while adding a bedazzled twist in the true style of the Barbadian royal.

3. Blake Lively

If there ever was royalty at the MET, it is Blake Lively. Her Versace gown looked like it came from a Renaissance painting.

2. Chadwick Boseman

Everyone knew the king had arrived because he was definitely serving some looks. Chadwick honored the theme in every way he possibly could have, and it worked!

1. Ariana Grande

Not only was Ariana one of the top favorites of the night, but she was also giving us major makeup inspiration. Her Vera Wang dress inspired by “The Last Judgement” by Michelangelo made a believer of fashion out of all of us.

All these looks were absolutely stunning! As well, how could we not include Chadwick Boseman when he proved that men should definitely step up their game when it comes to this artistic event. A few honorary mentions include Bella Hadid, Amal Clooney, Darren Criss, Jasmine Sanders, Lena Waithe, SZA, Lily Collins, Zendaya, and Priyanka Chopra.

What look was your favorite of the night? Let us know!

Image Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, & 7

Born and raised in Puerto Rico, Josie is a senior in the UPR-Río Piedras campus, majoring in English Literature. When she's not on campus, you can find her browsing a bookstore (as if her TBR pile isn't big enough already!). Books and writing are what drives this girl--apart from fighting to destigmatize mental illnesses and raising awareness about the importance of consent. Josie enjoys traveling, bingeing on spicy food and a lot of sweets, blasting Bieber, and adding shows or movies to her Netflix queue that she'll never get to. Josie is a junior editor for the Rio Piedras chapter in Puerto Rico. If you want to see what else Josie is up to, you can catch her on her bookstagram.