#IncludeGirls President, Grace Rodriguez

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

The Natural Sciences Faculty is pretty much known for being the one with the major quantity of students around campus. It is usually composed by a vast majority of Biology majors, and sadly, we forget that this faculty has a lot more to offer. Hiding out, near the math department, it lies the major of Computer Science, which is often underappreciated. And to make matters even more exhausting, the amount of females in that major, is very minimum. About 5 years ago, 2 girls decided to change this, and now there is an organization with the name of #IncludeGirls, which is pretty self explanatory, but nonetheless it deserves the recognition of mentioning why was it founded. The idea was to captivate young females to study the fields of technology, to empower them. Now, going back to recent date, we decided to interview its current president, Grace Rodriguez, a charming gal who deeply cares about empowering other girls into breaking the stereotype mold, and that the Computer Science major has a lot to offer. Meet this week’s Campus Profile:

Name: Grace M. Rodriguez Gomez

Age: 25

Major: Computer Science

Relationship Status: In a Relationship

Classification: Senior

Hometown: Guaynabo

HCUPR: Tell us about yourself:

G: I’m currently a student in the UPR, Rio Piedras campus. I’ll be graduating in 2017, I’m interested in the fields of Visualization, game development, computer graphics and animation. Essentially I like to find ways to mix art with programming, because I like to draw on my free time. I consider myself hardworking and I like to take new challenges, I’m also the current the president of the organization #IncludeGirls. In my free time I like to go to the beach, hang out with my friends and go to the movies.

HCUPR: When did the idea of #IncludeGirls began?

G: I believe it began about 5 years ago. The cofounders are Xiomara Figueroa, Roxanna Gonzalez and Dr. Patricia Ordonez (who happens to be our mentor). The idea began at that time, when 2 girls were the only few in the Computer Science major, there was the AECC (Asociacion Estudiantil de Ciencias de Cómputos), but mostly were guys, eventually they wanted to make an organization that would reach out to other girls to be in the Computer Science field. Then they would begin making workshops, events to get other girls to know each other better, and eventually it grew out to be what it is today.

HCUPR: What do you consider to be #IncludeGirls biggest event so far?

G: I think one of the biggest event was the #Includathon which involved Hackathon, job fair/fashion show. We wanted a Hackathon were people from the entire Island would come and work on new projects and learn all from each other. The idea of the fair was so students got an advantage, and had the tools for them to search for what they truly wanted.  The idea of the fashion show was to attract more girls, and get a topic to participate.

HCUPR: What do you consider to be #IncludeGirls biggest achievement so far:

G: The biggest achievement was to expand the organization to the entire island. When it began it only had to chapters (UPRRP AND UPRB). But now we have chapters in Mayagüez, Inter Bayamon, UMET Metro, and we have other universities that are interested into joining us soon.

HCUPR:  Short term plans with the organization:

G: Currently, is to be part of the Academic Association and to make another Hackaton.

HCUPR: Long term plans with #IncludeGirls

G:Expand ourselves to other areas, and even make it to the USA, and to solidify the union between the girls who are interested in technology, and have a network between them all. And help each other build professional skills and technical skills.

HCUPR: Do you have anything to say to the girls who just entered the UPR?

G: College can be fun and is full of experiences, it can be intimidating too. It is a learning experience, and it’s okay to fail. The important part is to stand up and try again. As a woman, there will be stereotype they want to impose to you, but it is up to you to prove them wrong.

HCUPR: What are your goals as a person:

G: Once I graduate I would like to work in the fields I previously mentioned, or do a master’s in cinematography. I have always been interested in animation, how they mix science with art. So, my long term goal is to be making films in the future.

HCUPR: Describe yourself in 3 words:

G: Outgoing, unpredictable, animal lover.

Nahir Robles was a former member of the Her Campus at UPR chapter from 2013 until 2018. She graduated with a Bachelor's in Integrative Biology. Some of her interests include writing, modeling, and wrestling. She is currently a Her Campus Mentor and works as a Pathology Assistant.