This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Class is sometimes unbearable because it feels like every minute lasts forever. Sometimes, the hours just fly by, and you can finally get out of class without having to worry about being one more hour in the same classroom. The same can’t be said about three-hour classes. It’s sometimes unavoidable to take a three-hour class. It’ll probably happen at least once while you’re in college. The feeling of every minute taking forever becomes worse, while you take a course of this length, because you have to stay much longer than you would in any other classroom; however, if you do some of these tricks, a three-hour class might not seem so bad.

Bring snacks!

If you’re like me, you’ll get hungry during a one hour class. You’ll most definitely die of starvation in a three-hour class. Being hungry will distract you (you’ll only be thinking about how hungry you are!) AND you could also put your health at risk. You can bring snacks to class to keep your tummy from grumbling. I recommend something healthy like carrot sticks, or maybe even chips with hummus. If that’s too healthy for you, bring something that not too sugary or check out 15 Snacks Every College Student Should Always Have on Hand.

Bring a cushion.

One of the worst aspects of such a long class is that you’ll have to sit on cold, hard desks for so long. Hopefully, your professor is an angel and gives a break after an hour and a half or so. Even then, your booty will thank you if you bring a cushion. It doesn’t have to be fancy. Maybe your grandma happily donated it, but it will literally save your ass.

Get those zzzzz’s.

It’s hard not to fall asleep during class. I will admit I’ve done it. What am I supposed to do after an all-nighter? It’s even harder to keep awake when you’re in the same classroom for a longer period of time than usual. Taking a nap before class will do the trick, but some of us don’t have that luxury, If not, try drinking some coffee. However, the best solution is to get a good night’s sleep the night before.

Read the assignments.

Needless to say, it’s a bit redundant to say this, but do your homework. You can sometimes get away with not reading the assigned texts before a one hour class, but it’s really awkward if you don’t know what anyone is talking about and you get called on. he professor grows even more impatient if you don’t read the work. The classroom gets really silent and unsettling if nobody is participating actively in the class.

Ask for help!

If you don’t understand the assignment you’ve read, don’t hesitate to ask your professor. That’s what they’re there for. This shows that you’ve made the effort to read the assignment and that you’re trying to understand it completely. The professors will be more than glad to answer whatever question that you might have. If you don’t ask the professors anything, they might assume that you have no doubts or that you didn’t do your homework.

Whatever the reason that you’re taking a 3-hour class, always be sure to be prepared in every way possible. It will help you on the long-run and make a huge difference in your grades. If the class makes you feel tired and you feel like you won’t be able to survive 3 whole hours in the same classroom, try these tips out. They will help you a whole lot if you do.