Hollywood’s Crooked Underage Background

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

As I was looking through my memories on Facebook, I bumped into one share that left me shaking. The article’s title was the following: What Is It About Our Artists and Very Young Girls? And it got me thinking. Some of Hollywood’s best cultural achievements come from the great minds of those who enjoy the likes of teenage girls.

For starters, let’s take a look at memory lane. Most of us have at least watched one of Woody Allen’s great films. A genius filmmaker and actor who many of us venerate to be one of Hollywood’s best, and he is. But as we all now know, this is not the case for Dylan Farrow who accused Allen, her adoptive father, of molesting her when she was younger. What was truly frustrating was how hard it was for the media to believe her. The question is why?  His first wife, Harlen Rosen, was a 16-year-old and he is currently married to his ex’s adoptive daughter, Soon-Yi Previn. There is a long list of Woody Allen’s list of conquests that barely get to a barely legal age. It is on the public record and somehow we were okay with this, until it was reminded to us not so long ago.

From Elvis Presley with 14-year-old girls, to Rob Lowe who made a sex tape with a 16-year-old. In spite of many other questionable acts done by the rich and famous, I’m not going to state many of them because they might be considered as achievements, the inspiration behind’s Hollywood’s greatest hits. The truth is that various were made with the innocence of children. And let me not get started with R-Kelly asphyxiation on teenage girls.

Girls are pressured and taught the need to grow up fast, especially in the public eye. The likes of Kylie Jenner and Lindsay Lohan who were exploited at a really young age. The need to grow up, to act like they are older.

Why do we keep our mouths shut when our beloved celebrities do these outrageous acts, but suddenly start a riot if there is a rape case? Aren’t we supposed to measure both things by the same ruler? We teach people that as long as you’re powerful, you can get away with just anything. From rape accusations to drug addictions, we pass them without any problem. Aren’t we supposed to be all equal regardless of our “contributions to society”? Are you proud that your cinematographic and musical history is made on overexposing young blood?

It’s no shock why teen girls would be drawn to the powerful men who court them. Young girls wake up one day to discover they wield enormous sexual power, power they may use without the perspective or emotional maturity to fully understand the consequences. They may say yes, but it is supposed to be the adult saying no.

It is the time to stand up for all these girls that have suffered through the years. It is the time to stop creating history or song hits with the innocence of young children. When will we finally take a hint? When will we finally stop idolizing those who hurt others? When will we make it right?

Nahir Robles was a former member of the Her Campus at UPR chapter from 2013 until 2018. She graduated with a Bachelor's in Integrative Biology. Some of her interests include writing, modeling, and wrestling. She is currently a Her Campus Mentor and works as a Pathology Assistant.