This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

As we’re growing up, we meet a lot of people in our lives. We get to know lots of different individuals, that at some point in our lives we think there’s a possiblity that this person is “our ideal partner”. As we get older, we sometimes come to realize that what we’ve been looking for was right in front of us for so long… and sometimes we realize so late that we lose the opportunity.

Think about that one person that is always there for you. That certain person that makes you laugh, comforts you when you’re sad, gets your jokes, would do anything for you. There is a name that’s popping in your head right now; that I’m sure of. I can’t help but to think how we don’t give ourselves the opportunity to finally love someone who loves us for who we are. 

Best friends are always there for you in your ups and downs, they get your weirdness, and even better, they are almost like you. I know it’s too early to be thinking about marriage (I’ve said so in the past), but it’s not always bad to think about these things. A person who knows who you really are, a guy/girl who still loves you… doesn’t matter how crazy your past may have been. I think that’s who should we get married to in our future.

Your future husband or wife should think you look lovely, even when if you look like a mess. He or she should care for you when you’re sick. We often take our best friends for granted, because —well, simply put— we’re idiots. We are always searching for our Princess or our Prince Charming, and we end up dating the Douchebag… But it’s okay, because that’s how you realize who it really is that you’re looking for.

Everytime there is someone in our lives that is compassionate and loving, we tend to push that person aside (believe me, I have a Ph.D in this). We need to embrace the fact that there is absolutely no one who will love us and get us the way our best friend does. Maybe it’s time to face the facts, and give ourselves a little chance. Your best friend loves you, and you know it.

Nahir Robles was a former member of the Her Campus at UPR chapter from 2013 until 2018. She graduated with a Bachelor's in Integrative Biology. Some of her interests include writing, modeling, and wrestling. She is currently a Her Campus Mentor and works as a Pathology Assistant.