#FoodieFriday: Beginner’s Guide to Wine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

From the discovery of the oldest-known winery in Armenia to Jesus’ last supper, our ancestors knew a thing or two about a proper drink (it was even safer than water in the Middle Ages!) Still, more often than not we encounter the insurmountable pressure of having to select a wine, especially during the month of love. Although you may opt for a more low-key affair with that special someone, you may also still want to make your rendezvous a bit romantic. Choosing a bottle of wine doesn’t have to be confusing! This beginner’s guide is all you’ll need for this weekend’s date, girls’ night out, or just because. Her Campus UPR has done the research and are ready to break down everything you need to know!

Wine can be divided into five basic categories: Red, White, Rose, Sparkling & Fortified.

Red: Made from blue or purple grapes, this is a richer tasting wine that contains a bolder flavor than its counterparts. Typically served at room temperature. Some of the most popular varieties of grapes used for red wine are:

• Cabernet Sauvignon
  • Merlot
  • Malbec
  • Pinot Noir
  • Tempranillo
  • Zinfadel

White: Usually made from white grapes, this wine derives from the fermented uncolored pulp. Chilling it in the refrigerator will allow the crisp and fresh flavors to develop. Of the popular varieties of grapes used for white wine we have:

• Chardonnay
  • Sauvignon Blanc
  • Moscato
  • Pinot Grigio
  • Riesling

The next three categories of wine are derived from the wine varieties from above, and can call for some absolutely delicious flavors. 

Rose: A lighter version of red wine caused when the skins of the dark grapes are removed from the mix early on. The longer the skins of the grapes are left in, the darker the color of the wine.

Sparkling: Made from white grapes, this wine undergoes a second fermentation process in which yeast and sugar are added, causing the levels of carbon dioxide to increase and result in a fizz effect. One of the most well-known sparkling wines is found and named after the Champagne region of France. 

Fortified: Also known as dessert wine, this is a mix of wine and distilled liquor, which is added during the fermentation process. The end result usually amps up the alcohol content, so we recommend responsible portions. The most recognized types of fortified wine are:

• Sherry
  • Madeira
  • Port
  • Marsala  

Now that you understand the different wine categories, it is important to know that it may take a couple of tries before you find a wine that is perfect for you. We recommend you try each wine with the goal of describing its appearance, scent, flavor, and finish. This will allow you to distinguish what you like from what you don’t. Don’t forget to hold the wine glass by the stem so as not to heat up your drink and voilà! 

Below is an easy-to-follow infographic that covers the basics.

Information courtesy of: www.tizianowine.com, www.winefolly.com, http://wine.about.com/