Fine Art Fridays: Rocky Horror Picture Showcast Director: Carla Giordano

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Rocky Horror Picture Show, a famous 70’s production, has come to invade the metropolitan area of Puerto Rico once more. In this profile, we’ll know a little more about the director’s point of view on how the directing process was for her and what she expects for the future of the project. Carla Giordano is sweet and talented 2nd year student at la IUPI that loves to collaborate with the whole cast and trusts that the movie’s message portrays 100% on every production. The expected outcome of the shows is that it leaves the audience motivated for the next one and, leaves them with antici…pation. 

Name: Carla Giordano

Age: 20

Major: Audiovisual Communications & Languages

Classification: 2nd year student

Hometown: I was born in Columbus, Ohio.

HCUPR: Who is Carla Giordano?

Carla: “Carla is the proud owner of social anxiety and fluctuating states of low self steem, but also happiness”. (saying it while laughing). 

HCUPR: Why did you choose to study…?

Carla: “In the 9th grade I got a camera, because my friends were getting fancy cameras and I wanted one too, so I told my mom about it. After much insistence, I got what I wanted and then realized that photography is actually fun. I ended up choosing Audiovisual Communications to practice my hobby, photography, rather than science or math, because I studied in University Gardens High School (that it’s specialized in those areas)”.

HCUPR: What is your favorite thing about La IUPI? Favorite place at Rio and La IUPI?

Carla: “My favorite thing about la IUPI is the great friends I’ve made here, and teacher wise, because if you find the right professors, you can get a complete education. I really enjoy communications (COPU) professors. They’re awesome”.

HCUPR: How did you first heard about the production Rocky Horror Picture Show?

Carla: “I was in the summer of 7th  grade. I went to visit a friend of mine in Florida, and went to a movie store to rent movies. We stumbled, coincidently, with Rocky Horror. My friend’s mom mentioned how they did shadowcasts, throw stuff at the screen, and act in front of the cinema screen. I was intrigued by that factor and asked my friend’s mom to let us watch it, but she said no because it wasn’t appropriate for our age. I ended up watching it in the 9th grade”.

HCUPR: Tell us your auditioning story:

Carla: “I was the first person to audition, when it was made with the original director, Carlos. It went well. At first, I thought I was very robotic, auditioning for a tranny role. I didn’t audition for any of the main characters cause I thought I wouldn’t fit any of the parts, so I ended up auditioning for tranny. By my surprise, I was called by Carlos and was very happy about it”.

HCUPR: What has been your favorite part directing the Rocky Horror Picture Showcast project?

Carla: “My favorite part was trying to interpret a movie, which is edited and not necessarily in real time, and then turning it in a way that fits as a decent theatrical production. It was challenging, but fun. I enjoy problem solving”.

HCUPR: In your opinion, what is the message that Rocky Horror Picture Show portrays?

Carla: “What it portrays to the public is that a bunch of weird things happen and it changes Brad and Janet’s life. It makes them more sexually open and realize things about themselves. It represents what B movies used to be: crazy story lines would never become the big hits in Hollywood, but they’re stories that certain crowds enjoyed. It portrays the life and/or ideologies of small groups in society that may be considered as outcasts”.

HCUPR: How will this experience help you for the future?

Carla: “It helped me create and organize chaos”

HCUPR: If you could be a character from the production for the rest of your life, who would you be and why?

Carla: “I feel like I would enjoy doing Janet, because she’s very ditsy, and I enjoy portraying that, I guess. She’s a very typical girl and I feel I could do that”.

HCUPR: What’s the most difficult part of the directing process?

Carla: “The most difficult part is definitely dealing with people in general. Getting out of my hole in the ground. Also, organizing the props, like for example: where the hell is it gonna come from? Coordinating the props within the stage is a necessary task so the actors can use it at the right moment and find them in strategic spots within the stage”. 

HCUPR: How did you end up directing the project?

Carla: “After the 2015 production, the team spent a summer on a break. During that time, the group separated and our director was going to college. In August, the whole team thought that maybe the production wasn’t going to continue. But, me and Laura Cañuelas met up because her sister, Sandra, is my best friend. We started talking about it and realized that we should 100% try to continue the group, and since then Laura has been the one dealing with money and we have dealt with directing as well”.

HCUPR: In one short sentence: What is Rocky Horror Picture Show about?

Carla: “Unwet couple enters mysterious castle and has weird sex times in there”.

HCUPR: How does Rocky Horror Picture Show challenge some conservative mindsets society may still have?

Carla: “It’s pretty much saying that you all have to chill down. Brad and Janet represent what that conservative society was back then. Then Frank appears, and pretty much says calm the hell down, we all have our little demons inside of us and we need to let them out. Because: don’t dream it, be it”.

A 20 years old millennial in Puerto Rico, studying art history & journalism at the University of Puerto Rico.