This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

For day twelve of our Cute Campus Couples, we’re feeling rebellious. So, we decided to pick some badass single girls that will convince you that being single for Valentine’s Day isn’t that bad. These are the girls that walk down the aisles full of chocolates and stuffed animals with that single swagger and grab a few boxes just for themselves (during that after holiday sale, of course)—or maybe even for some friends.  

Here are those lovely ladies with some very inspiring truths!

Names

Gabriela Burgos, Joannie Betancourt, Vero Dávila Parrilla and Josie Meléndez.

How do you practice self-love?

GB: Well, I love spending time by myself. Like, I will pick up a book and read. I’ll watch movies because I love films, and I’ll just pick a random movie and watch it. Just be with myself. Sometimes write; I love to write. If I don’t want to spend time by myself, I’ll hang out with my mom and watch cheesy Lifetime movies together. It’s kind of a tradition we have. 

JB: I’ve practiced self-love in the sense that I’ve stopped comparing myself to other people because I used to compare myself a lot to other people physically and work-wise. I stopped comparing myself because I began to think: I am myself. Those people are those people. I found that to be a big step because it helped with my self-esteem and my self-value. It also helped me go from being a victim of bullying to genuinely loving myself as I am. Another thing is buying clothes, accessories, boots, things that make you feel more comfortable with yourself and help you express yourself. I’ve also grown to love my art and work more and stop comparing my projects with other’s projects.

VD: I practice self-love by writing. It sounds cheesy, but I’ve found I have a nasty habit of minimizing and downplaying my feelings. So, the more I write about whatever I’m going through, the more I find myself believing that it’s okay to feel whatever it is that I feel.

JM: Meditation helps. Taking at least one or two hours of your day to disconnect from your phone and the internet in general. Meditate, go for a walk, sit down and actually enjoy a meal without having to think about what you have to do next or the notifications on your phone. Disconnect and unplug yourself from the world at least one or two hours during the day to really allow yourself to be with just yourself—maybe interact with the people around you without any distractions.

Any tips for other single girls on enjoying the single life?

GB: Just because you’re single doesn’t mean you’re not happy, and Valentine’s Day is a capitalist holiday anyways. It doesn’t by any means define you. If you don’t have a significant other, it doesn’t mean anything. It just means, you know, the right one hasn’t come, or you just don’t want to find a significant other because you’re focused on yourself, and there’s nothing wrong with that. If you don’t have anyone, that’s perfectly okay. Enjoy being by yourself. Enjoy the little things more. Hang out with your friends. Enjoy college because college is only four years (unless you go to grad school). But, enjoy the people that surround you, your family and friends. And then, if you want to find someone, you will.

JB: No mires al lado! Your time will come. I know sometimes it feels like a long wait, but, honestly while you’re single, enjoy your life. Do everything you want to do! Go out, dress up, do your makeup, practice photography, go out with your friends… Before you have someone that loves you, try to love yourself first. Look in the mirror and say: I love you. It’s hard. It’s hard to do, but it’s good.

VD: Okay. Tip 1: Surround yourself with positive people—having people who care about you on platonic levels and are happy around you is great. Often times people who want relationships are looking for that and don’t realize that sometimes the best people you’ll find aren’t dates or potential romantic people; rather people whom you can co-exist peacefully with. Tip 2: Love doesn’t really have one shape. Love has shi**y timing, and it doesn’t really care about your plans or schedules. Let things flow.

JM: Know what you deserve. Do not settle for less. Genuinely know your worth. It’s so important. Don’t be afraid to spend time with yourself and get to know yourself because in the long run, if you don’t understand yourself—your passions, hopes, dreams, desires, dislikes, quirks, and things you need to improve on (among other things)—nobody else will.

One word to describe yourself.

GB: One word to describe myself.

She laughs.

GB: Um… I don’t know. I’m creative. Yeah! Let’s go with creative.

JB: Oh… That’s very hard! But if it would have to be one word, it would be hopeful. I’ve had various falls and problems in the sense of people criticizing me for how I am or how I look. There are times as an artist when you’ll almost give up, but even though it takes a while of rest to bounce back, you will bounce back. I’m hopeful that even though some things happen and I want to give up, I won’t.

VD:  Caring, I think. My twin says it’s both my highlight and inevitable downfall, so… I’ll take it.

JM: One word to describe myself? Hufflepuff? I don’t know! I’m perseverant. Yes, perseverant.  

Any plans for Valentine’s Day?

GB: It will consist of pizza and movies. Specifically About Time because that’s my favorite romantic movie. It’s really good!

JB: For now, I’m thinking about making it a movie day, maybe draw a bit, and study for finals, of course.

VD: I have two big tests, work and reading I have to do, but I hope to find time to do something nice for my friends. I’ll probably try to make them personalized meme Valentine’s cards.

JM: My mom and I tend to celebrate this day together. We buy each other small gifts. We’re thinking of getting pizza this year at a restaurant or something.

From spending times with those you care about the most to talking about food, movies, books, and more (oh my), single life isn’t as bad as Valentine’s tends to make us feel about it. Being single rocks as much as being in a relationship does. The important thing is to learn to love yourself before you can love others. Now, get down with your bad self and enjoy your life!

Images are in order of names.

Antoinette Luna is a Performance Studies and Comparative Literature major at the UPR. Her passions include writing, reading, and anything crafty. She loves to sew, write, and make things from scratch. DIY is the name of her game. Around campus, she is known as a bubbly young woman who goes by just Luna. Her future goals include traveling, traveling, and more traveling. Outspoken transfeminist, and wannabe activist, she's out to set fires.
Born and raised in Puerto Rico, Josie is a senior in the UPR-Río Piedras campus, majoring in English Literature. When she's not on campus, you can find her browsing a bookstore (as if her TBR pile isn't big enough already!). Books and writing are what drives this girl--apart from fighting to destigmatize mental illnesses and raising awareness about the importance of consent. Josie enjoys traveling, bingeing on spicy food and a lot of sweets, blasting Bieber, and adding shows or movies to her Netflix queue that she'll never get to. Josie is a junior editor for the Rio Piedras chapter in Puerto Rico. If you want to see what else Josie is up to, you can catch her on her bookstagram.