Bookish Wednesday: Diverse Authors and Books You Need to Check Out ASAP

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Right now, we are living in stressful times. Even though racism, xenophobia, homophobia, misogyny, fascism and discrimination in general have always been around, nowadays these themes are a current trend around the world. Every day, we read and watch a constant string of news and cases where people from minority groups are attacked just because of the fears of others.

Examples of this are: the now halted Muslim Ban President Trump attempted to install, the harassment Muslims are receiving, hate crimes against the LGBTQ community and people of color (most visibly black people), and women’s rights being threatened. There is basically a fear of anything different from the established “norm”. What many seem to forget is that our cultural differences are what make this world such a fascinating place. We don’t need to divide ourselves, we need to celebrate our diversity! What better way than to expand our reading choices and read more diverse authors and their books?

1. Rupi Kaur – Born in India and raised in Canada, this writer is better known for her best selling poetry book Milk and Honey. A feminist and a poet with words that cut and heal at the same time, we recommend you check her out as soon as possible.           

2. Junot Diaz – 2008 Pulitzer Prize winner, this Dominican-american writer and Creative Writing professor is best known for his acclaimed novel The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, whose protagonist is an overweight dominican boy obsessed with Fantasy and Science Fiction novels.

3. Nicola Yoon – This beautiful Jamaican YA writer has distinguished herself by always creating a diverse cast in her books, these being The Sun is Also a Star and Everything, Everything  –which is now being made into a movie. So, if you want to jump into the bandwagon, we suggest you read this cute and light novel.

4. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie – To say that this Nigerian novelist has to be one of the most influential writers of this time is an understatement. Winner of various literature awards, a spokesman for more diversity in literature, and her presence and eloquence in her writing has made her a bestselling author. We recommend you start with reading Americanah, a book where an african woman has to deal with race in America, and We Should All be Feminists, a must read for everyone. Fun fact: You know in Beyonce’s “Flawless” song? The woman who talks about feminism? Yep, that’s Chimamanda!

5. Khaled Hosseini – This Afghan-born American is best known for being the bestselling author of The Kite Runner. His family sought asylum in the U.S. after the start of the Soviet War in Afghanistan and from there, even though he became a doctor, he started writing his first novel (the one mentioned above) which was influenced by the terror his country faced. We feel that, now, this book is something everyone should read.

6. Sherman Alexie –  An Indigenous American writer who’s also a comedian and a songwriter. Wrote the young adult novel The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, a heartbreaking but yet funny story of a young Native American trying to survive in a white majority school. If you want to gain more perspective towards Native American experiences, read this book!  

7. Adam Silvera – A writer with hispanic heritage raised in the Bronx that delves into themes like sexual identity while growing up in a tough community where “manhood” is everything; more specifically, in his debut novel More Happy Than Not. Being a homosexual himself, the majority of the time his protagonists are from the LGBTQ community! You can also check his new book History Is All You Left Me, a guaranteed tearjerker. 

8. Angie Thomas – Even though this former teen rapper’s book hasn’t come out yet, it is one of the most anticipated books of 2017. The Hate U Give will present us with the regretfully common, unjustified violence against the black community from the eyes of a 16 year old girl. Important is an understatement to describe this book. It’s a crucial read that gives us more necessary perspective on this topic. We’ll love hearing more from this author when she becomes the bestselling writer we imagine she’ll become.

9. Malala Yousafzai – You’ve probably heard her name before: she’s the brave young girl who didn’t keep silent against her oppressors and fought for childrens’ education rights in her country. Opposers responded with a violent attack that left her in a critical condition, one she thankfully survived. This Pakistani Nobel Prize Winner’s memoir, I Am Malala: The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban, is a must read for those who want to be inspired by this activist and her story. 

10. Maya Angelou – Let’s end with a classic, shall we? This beautiful African American poet and civil rights activist is the face of a fighter through the years. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings  became a voice and an eye opener for black women writers across the country in her time. It talked about topics such as racism, rape, and identity, while also being a coming of age story; where at the end, self identity and respect for oneself is achieved.  

We hope you enjoyed this list of diverse authors and their books. Remember this is only a minuscule amount of authors we chose, there are thousands more around the world. To all readers out there, we implore you to start searching for more diversified writers and books. Diversity and representation is a very significant theme nowadays, so let’s gain a little more perspective on our world!

Call me Uli. English major and a giant bookaholic. "She gazed through a long reach of future days strung together like pearls in a rosary, every one like the others, and all smooth and flawless and innocent, and her heart went up in thankfulness." -Mary E. Wilkins Freeman
Jomayra is a third-year Psychology student from the University of Puerto Rico in Río Piedras. She loves the arts, and writes for the defunct Blog section of HerCampus. (Secretely also writing for Poetic Mondays in HC@UPR RP). Currently swimming in class lectures.