Bookish Wednesday: Books to Help Get You Out of Your Reading Slump

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Reading slumps are commonly referred to as a horrible dilemma for a book nerd; they’re the worst. Either it takes a while to get into a new book, or you may find yourself reading something you can’t seem to get into. Your phone becomes your worst enemy because during a reading slump you may feel it’s more interesting than reading. Another common symptom is not having something to read or having too many options that you do not know where to start. Well, we are here to give you a few book recommendations that got us out of our reading slumps at one point or another, and, hopefully, they can do the same for you.

The Crown’s Game

This historical fantasy novel written by Evelyn Skye takes place in an alternate Russia where only two enchanters—which is unheard of within the book’s plot—exist. Each tsar has trusted an enchanter to help them rule, but seeing as this year there are two, he will invoke in the Crown’s Game to decide who will be his trusted enchanter or enchantress. Major downside: the one defeated will be sentenced to death. If you like a twist on historical events, magic, secrets, romance, and affairs, then this is definitely the book for you!

The Secret History of Us

Jessi Kirby will take you on an exhilarating ride with this novel! Tensions are high as Olivia wakes up from a coma caused by an accident she doesn’t remember. But, that’s not the only thing she doesn’t remember. She has no recollection of the last four years, which will prompt Olivia to rediscover herself day-by-day, reconciling who she’s becoming with how people close to her remembered her. As the story progresses, she starts to develop feelings for her rescuer from the accident, but this immediately causes a rift between her supposed boyfriend and herself. The History of Us is a definite page-turner you should pick up!

Honor Among Thieves

A collaborative effort between Rachel Caine and Ann Aguirre creates this critically acclaimed young adult sci-fi novel. You will not want to put this book down once the action starts! It’s a bit slow at first, but this is not in vain. The dedication to setting the mood and to describing the fantastic world make it worth your while.

There is definitely something going on behind the scenes–you’ll be dying to find out as our protagonist, a thief and a criminal trying to make a dime in her circumstances, is admitted into the Honors program, which sends people across the galaxy on sentient ships. If you’re a fan of Zenith, Carve the Mark, The 100 or Illuminae, then you’ll definitely love this one.

This is How it Happened

Paula Stokes brings to life characters in an effort to speak up about issues that teenagers face regularly. Social media is a big part of our lives and everyone is always plugged in; the concept of “the world is always watching” is definitely something to think about when reading this novel. Young Genevieve Grace wakes up from a coma after a driving accident where her famous, YouTube star and recording artist, boyfriend is killed. Nobody really knows what happened, so it’s up to Genevieve to remember, preferably before the life of the man accused of having caused the accident is ruined permanently.

The Raven Boys

Blue meets four boys, known as the Raven Boys, that whisk her away on a mission that Gansey, the leader, is committed to seeing through. Unfortunately for Blue, the more time she spends with Gansey and his friends, the more she comes to believe a prophecy she had been given before: she would be the cause of her true love’s death. Maggie Stiefvater is a compelling writer that crafts phenomenal storytelling while making characters that you never want to let go of. You will not forget this one.

Here’s to hoping some of these get that enthusiasm to read going. Let’s kick that reading slump to the curb. Let us know if you have read any of these books or which book you are currently enjoying!

Image Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 & 8.

Born and raised in Puerto Rico, Josie is a senior in the UPR-Río Piedras campus, majoring in English Literature. When she's not on campus, you can find her browsing a bookstore (as if her TBR pile isn't big enough already!). Books and writing are what drives this girl--apart from fighting to destigmatize mental illnesses and raising awareness about the importance of consent. Josie enjoys traveling, bingeing on spicy food and a lot of sweets, blasting Bieber, and adding shows or movies to her Netflix queue that she'll never get to. Josie is a junior editor for the Rio Piedras chapter in Puerto Rico. If you want to see what else Josie is up to, you can catch her on her bookstagram.