Bookish Wednesday: 5 Light Hearted Reads for All the Feels this V-Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Valentine’s Day is a day to be with people who cherish you and make you feel loved, be it a partner, your friends or your family. But that doesn’t mean that the company of a good book won’t make you feel the same! Sometimes everyone needs those good ol’ fluffy, passionate, tear-jerking, funny books with happy endings. Those that have a roller coaster of emotions that make you feel all those FEELS. Here we’ll be recommending five simple, light-hearted yet heart melting novels that will surely make your heart beat.

1.  Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz

Winner of a Pulitzer Prize, this coming of age story involving two whimsical characters, Ari and Dante, will leave you breathless for more. A friendship and family-oriented book with beautiful writing and characters, featuring a journey of two boys who are trying to find themselves. Oh, and also has LGBTQ representation, your welcome.

2. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

A classic in the YA community that you may have probably heard or at least seen. This book is fluff incarnate. Travel along with Anna as she confronts her senior year in a boarding school in France nonetheless, where she will find new friendships and a new love in the form of Etienne St. Claire. Simple writing, simple plot but with all the feels.  If you liked this one, then you’ll love to hear that this is part of a trilogy where, even though the other two books have different characters, the stories are linked to each other.

3. Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover

Author Colleen Hoover has excelled as being known for writing romance books that almost everybody likes. Ugly Love might have been the project that skyrocketed her to recognition in the book community. This book has tragedy, a steamy romance and a couple who very much lack communication. Enter Tate and Miles, who even though got off on the wrong foot, the tension between them is undeniable and they know it. So they decide to have a “friends with benefits” kinda relationship, which we all know, won’t work at the end. If you’re looking for a steamy romance, then this is the one for you, and also make sure to check Hoover’s other books since they are always perfect for these occasions.

4. One Plus One by Jojo Moyes

Even though Jojo Moyes is the same author of Me Before You, do not fret, because this book won’t make you cry your heart out, instead, it will make your heart warm and flutter. If you want a lighthearted road trip story with a slow-build mature romance, then you’ll love this one! A single mother with a bullied stepson, her dog, and her genius daughter take a drive with a geeky tech millionaire who is their only hope of driving them to the Math Olympiad where the daughter will compete. Hilarious, touching and memorable, this read will surely make you sigh as you see the lovely moments of this dysfunctional family and their driver.

5. Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli

Even though this is another YA, we couldn’t just skip this one. Maybe, you have heard that this book will be adapted to a movie by the name of Love, Simon, which by the way, you should all see. This is the perfect book for those feels cravings we all get. Funny, relatable and just plain lovely. If we didn’t spill that many details, it’s because this book is better going at it without knowing. Take a chance with it because you won’t regret it!

We hope you can enjoy these light reads and that they give all those warm-hearted feelings you deserve. Happy Valentine’s Day book nerds!

Source: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Call me Uli. English major and a giant bookaholic. "She gazed through a long reach of future days strung together like pearls in a rosary, every one like the others, and all smooth and flawless and innocent, and her heart went up in thankfulness." -Mary E. Wilkins Freeman